Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
HighCompression+Boost=Win
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on having an intake that goes from a cut headlight to the turbo for 1/4 passes? I have a 3d printer and can make this is sections and then bond it together when everything is test fitted.

Has anyone ever done one of these? I see a lot of us have headlights that have been modified but I have never seen anyone who used the headlight hole to make some sort of a ram air intake for our cars.

I will post some pictures when I get my motor back in and start the project.

·
411 HP GSXR / 203 HP Vrod
1,947 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that the HP gain is not worth the effort. I like the idea but 5-10 HP isn't worth the headaches. Just turn up the boost. LOL. A better option is to cut a hole in your sheetmetal and route your intake piping under the headlight where you can achieve cold air all the time. This way you can leave your headlight in place as well. Here's mine:

·
HighCompression+Boost=Win
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I am having one of those made, I am talking strictly 1/4 intake, using the headlight that has a hole in it. I won't be running a filter, just using a screen.

I might do one just because I have the stuff to do and and do a back to back test with it on and off at the strip. You see people pick up a tenth from taking the head light out, I just thought this might have the same kind of effect but with better ram air effect......?

·
411 HP GSXR / 203 HP Vrod
1,947 Posts
Yea, if you're trying to extract every last tenth out of it then go fo it. I think that someone here has done the ram air via the headlight but not totally sure.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
hey Sooco,

if you feel like it, call Don Summerton at AP Engineering in Toledo, Oh (419)474-7170... username is DefconAdmin here on SF's... he has designed a pretty nice tunnel ram intake like you are describing that replaces the right headlight (think it's carbon fiber and for track duty only, but i'm not sure)... think i remember him saying the gains were notable, but i can't quantify.

craig

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
hmmmm I know Ryan woon has the headlight cut out on his new RSP blue race car it looks clean. Maybe try messaging him?

·
Somebody's Watching Me!
1,875 Posts
I think bad sp79r has it right thats what i did also. I think you can get more air in from where the stock side mount goes compared to having the high beam light cut out unless you make the whole headlight a ram air funnel.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
For a true ram air I would say the best spot would be a scoop where the right hand turn signal goes in that opening I haven’t seen one yet, to tell you the truth I don’t think a ram air would help much given it’s turbocharged. IMO it will do very little, look into a cold air intake that will be your best bet like Bad SP79R has.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
more pics! I love seeing this. If I ever get my hands on a spare headlight I'd want to try this out too. I usually pull my headlight for drag/road race anyway.

Reid

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
We did the headlight mod back in 2003. We would like to fiberglass in a funnel and have that connected to the intake pipe from the turbo. Remove the normal filter at the end for daily use typically and run a good screen for 1/4mi use only.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
I totally forgot about this thread! Great setup, I am looking for a more direct airflow as opposed to simply removing my headlight. I like that a lot.

Reid

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the biggest advantage there would be getting fresh/clean and cooler air. If behind your cone filter you made some sort of heat shield, sorta like the K&N FIPK come with these days, that keep the turbo from taking in the hot air from the engine bay. That heat shield plus the cold air from the headlight area should work well together. especially on a crisp fall evening night.
I have a similar idea going except instead of the headlight, I bought a Chargespeed Hood that has a functional snorkel right behind the pass side head light. I'll be using that for air and some sheet metal (at first) to block off the area directly behind my filter. I don't really expect much performance gain from it but I look at it as effiency. It's free and easy. There is no downside to it really, cold air is always better than hot air for an engine.

I wouldn't make any type of sealed box just because of the large volume your turbo needs. Don't wanna choke it out of some power, but if you can persuade more cold air to go into your turbo, its bound to be better than the hot stuff under the hood.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
Again this is just for the track. I currently don't have an intake, and take the headlight out since I basically have a hot-ram intake. I justwant to be able to direct the air better instead of letting it escape down below in the bumper region.

I'd like to know more about what Craig was talking about with the piece made by Don Summerton at AP Engineering

Reid

1 - 19 of 19 Posts