Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically ever since i rebuilt the engine (about 7k miles/1.5 years ago) i was loosing some oil.
There were no leaks on the ground, so first i suspected that the new rings werent seated yet and let some oil through. After the break-in period, i was still using oil, so i suspected that the rings werent installed or seated properly, so i checked the compression. Compression was nearly perfect.
Then i suspected the oil seal on the turbo to be bad but i didnt do anything about it because im getting a new turbo soon anyway.

Then, a few days ago, i was doing some work under the car and noticed that one of the hoses to the oil cooler was wet. So i start the car, drive it around untill its hot, look underneath and i see the oil dripipng from that hose SLOWLY (1-2 drops per min). It all made sence - there were no leaks in the garage because it doesnt leak untill oil gets very hot and goes to the cooler. So i ordered a new hose from Toyota and took her out for a spin (still waiting on the hose). As i pulled her back into garage and walked out, i saw a nice oil trail on the car's path - about a drop every 10cm. Then i looked underneath and there was a nice puddle of oil under the oil cooler.

So.... I get scared shitless and check the oil level. Dipstick reading exactly at the "low" mark. I add a quart and it reads just over "full".

I run 10W30 "turbo formulated" AMSOIL synthetic and change it every 1000 miles. (recommended intervlas are 25000miles) Oil level is checked EVERY TIME before the car is started and this is the first time the car seen bellow the "full" mark.

So my question is - Should i be worried about dammaging the bearings? At the rate that the oil leaked, it couldnt take it more than 2-5 minutes to leak out that quart. I didnt drive it hard and i dont think that being 1 quart low is TOO bad, but im more worried about the oil pressure loss. The stock pressure gauge read normal pressure, but (even with a brand new sending unit) i dont think its very accurate. Would there be a significant pressure loss from a leak like that?

Thanks for reading!

·
MА70>MA71>SC400
792 Posts
The 10W30 is your first problem, use 15-50 you wont have that oil burning problem. Yes you should be worried about your car, no oil=boom. With the right weight oil your, oil pressure will be where it needs to be around 40---psi, is where you want it on normal driving.
Hopefullly that helps.
Carl

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
10-30 should be fine. I ran that for years, just don't put in that "Restore" junk in your oil. haha. Some of the valves got stuck after 1 month of "Restore". :rofl:

I thought it was rod knock for a while, until I tried to throw a rod redlining it. Turns out the knock went away. :rofl:

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
i wouldnt sweat it too much man. we had a local guy who shall remain nameless, drive around 2 full quarts low. the car started to get hot and we suspected a bhg would be likely but come to find out that he was just rediculusly low on oil. topped him off and it was aok. as long as you had decent oil pressure i wouldnt sweat it too much.

and oh yea switch over to some heavier oil, especially in the summer! im running mobil 1 15w50 pretty much all year round. you need something a bit heavier in there.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
its only a problem if you run very low or youre low and doing hard cornering. On another note, have you spilled a quart on the ground ever? Its A LOT of oil, a few drops here and there will prob take a while to get low, maybe days, according to your description. And changing your synthetic every 1000 miles is kinda a waste of money. But whatever.

·
Street Sleeper
1,114 Posts
If you were still reading on the dipstick then I wouldn't sweat it, 10w 30 in the summer is a bit thin, whats your pressure like at 2500rpm?? Like Ang said changing oil every 1000 miles is pretty pointless, I change my 10w 40 every 6000 miles but I do lots of highway driving.

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
Glad you figured out where the leak was coming from.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
FYI, I drained my oil on the old motor.. and it drained 2.5 quarts. I ran that car for 5k miles if not more and it had no problems. The bearingsstill looked new when i pulled it apart. It also had about 65k+ miles on them.

I'd say you're just fine.

·
MА70>MA71>SC400
792 Posts
I ran with 1 quart of oil in my car, and didnt even know it untill I saw low oil pressure, that was with 10w30 last week, but thank god nothing hapened, I changed to mob1 syn15-50 shes fine now. I am checking oil every time the car leaves the driveway, just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You should be fine. As long as you didn't beat the tar out of it, its OK. Normally people who screw their motors by running low on oil run them pretty much dry AFAIK, as in off the dip stick.

Don't listen to anyone telling you to change your oil, your choice is fine and if anything you could go to Series 2000 0W-30 concidering your location. :)

I would bump the OCI at least to the Toyota recommended, or 3X that like Amsoil say. Your filter will probably be "done" before the oil is, every 1000 miles is a huge waste.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You need to be about 3-4 quarts low before it starves. You are OK.

Getting an aftermarket oil presuure gauge is always recommended. You will not notice intermittent oil starvartion with the stock gauge. The stock gauge is a bi-metal spring with a heating wire wrapped around it - it has about 10-second time response.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
errr. why are you changing AMSOIL every 1000 miles? what a waste.. send that used oil to me.. i'll run it for another 5000 miles

·
7MGTE CRESSIDA PWR!!!
780 Posts
Not to Hijack a thread... but what if you overfill a 7mgte? Lets say 7 quarts instead of 5.5?

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
EVERYONE should take a lesson about oil on this guy's site

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Opened my eyes, used only synthetic from then on........ as for the post, I also think you are just fine. Starving happens when you are to low and/or almost to low and driving or especially cornering too hard and you have to starve a bearing to cause a knock usually.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Push said:
Not to Hijack a thread... but what if you overfill a 7mgte? Lets say 7 quarts instead of 5.5?
Probably blow out the cam cover seals if you are lucky... if not those some other seals...

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
I agree with those that say you should be fine - my engine has mystery oil disappearance to (turbo seals also, I believe), and goes through about 1qt. every two weeks. I add a qt. when it gets to the add mark every other Friday. Been doing this for the last 20k miles or so w/no issues whatsoever. As long as you didn't do any autoX/dragging with it low ;) , you should have no worries.

Oh, and I would also agree that your change intervals are a little too close together :).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts