Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

· Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the money you put into it, all the time you put into it and all the sweat! Is it all worth it?

· Banned
1,023 Posts
I will let you know in another month, all i can say is NA-T >NA so for those that cant afford a full GTE or have their daily down that long its a great alternative.

· Registered
586 Posts
why would you ask that im just starting my na-t ,i understand all the pro's and con's i did pricing and all . i think if you have a supra its not a supra till your turbo . i remember when i first got mine i pulled up to a spot all gas up my dream has become a reality lol some local kids came up really admiring her they looked from the rear and made their way to the front and looked tru my bumper and seen my condenser they asked me if it was turbo and i said no they hoofed and puffed and shoot me down saying this is wack and it was true it was like drivng my slow ass sc300 it just looked like a supra so i say i will have no regrets spending the money im using to get her boosted. its like having a bad chick wit no tits or a ass thats not a girl its a boy lmao

· Registered
572 Posts
YES!

While the final result is fantastic and IMO way better than BPU GTE, the amount of time my car has spent off the road means ive gotten very little return for all the money and headaches ive gone through.

Very little NA-T support down here, wish there was a drive in drive out shop like Sound Performance that knew what they were doing + quality.

Having 3 projects on the go didnt help, but still...

· Fly boys drive fast toys.
569 Posts
supra cant be left NA..... its like going to a strip club, u just get the good looking dance... u dont get the full ride....

BUT... i just kinda figure that getting a GTE swap if not much more (assuming you keep the 5speed or auto)

· Banned
3,371 Posts
dont' get me wrong i love my na-t as its more fun than ever but from a financial point of view it would have been better to go GTE.

but then again i dont mind only cause im different.

i don't know to many guys that have a 98 VVTI NA-T

· Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know, I feel like just having a nice STOCK NA and driving it around without any headaches or leaking oil, blowing up a HG, etc. etc.

I feel that driving around NA gives you much more peace of mind and the Supra is still a Supra.

· Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about this:

I nice BONE STOCK NA Supra that is in IMMACULATE condition. If I was to start over with my Supra I think I would have gone that route.

Fresh paint job, FIX EVERY little ding / nick, REFRESH the entire engine bay and make it look BRAND new and SHINY, get new dash pieces and refresh the entire interior to make it look brand new, nice set of wheels, lip and a nice drop would have finished the car nicely.

That would make me feel really comfortable about driving my car and really what I probrably have done if I had the time / money to re-do it all.

· Registered
3,366 Posts
I don't know, I feel like just having a nice STOCK NA and driving it around without any headaches or leaking oil, blowing up a HG, etc. etc.

I feel that driving around NA gives you much more peace of mind and the Supra is still a Supra.
That's the best part of a N/A. Its a car that will always start (considering its taken care of) and you never have to worry about it breaking down. The more money and parts that go into the engine the faster reliability goes out the window.

· Banned
3,371 Posts

i kind of know what you mean. but its too much fun. after i got everything squared away i have not had problem with my car. that was about 400 miles ago lol

· 2JZ-Phantom
2,495 Posts
Just do it right the first time, spend the money and time to get it done and you wont have to worry about your car not being reliable. I daily drove my na-t supra for a while and even out to Vegas, smashing on it here and there and never a problem except for one of my injectors going dead but that was the injector not the engine or turbo setup.

· Registered
1,098 Posts
Nope, no regrets. On my third (personal cars) NA-T and it's all great. Done about a dozen so far.
NA-T's are simple and cheap if you know what you are doing and set (and stick to) realistic goals (budget in mind here). My basic NA-T KILLS my stockish TT by a whole second and cost less than half the TT and is in much better condition overall.

· Registered
1,249 Posts
My goal was to take pride in a build I did myself with results I'd be happy with. Unfortunately, it cost way more than I thought, but in the end it was worth it.

Additionally, a big part of the effort was learning about turbocharging, and an NA-T project will teach you just about all aspects of forced induction. However, I'm not just speaking about making power - tuning idle, cruise, start-up, 2-step, anti-lag, meth injection, etc. comes with the territory. Additionally, you'll learn about driveline components, clutches, brakes, and eventually suspension. From that standpoint, going NA-T was well worth it. In fact, I know much more about the 2jz motor than most of my friends that run the GTE power plant, and I believe they have come to respect the effort and results that are possible with a GE motor.

I still recall picking up "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell about 8 years ago, and the rest is history. ;)

-scott

· Registered
285 Posts
No regrets:)
A stock TT is a stock TT..why would anyone by a NA Supra then swap to a TT and then have to buy a singlekit on top of that???
NOP with all the guys out there with all of their info on NA-T's you can't go wrong if you bother to do your homework first:)

· Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good discussion!

· Wingless FTW
2,432 Posts
NA-T can certainly come with some headaches, but the end result of having a fast car with parts that you pieced together is a pretty satisfying feeling. Besides, what could be more exciting than holding your breath every time you floor it, waiting for your engine or tranny to go *pop*? Ahhh... Good times.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.