Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SFOT Hero of the Year
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ed Tillrock is a plain-spoken guy. You'd never know he was mad enough to slap a 70mm Garrett T3 turbo onto a 230 cubic inch Chevy inline-six and called it the "Voodoo Curse."

Tillrock's custom has been dubbed the "Voodoo Curse" as he's a member of the Chicago area hot-rod club the Voodoo Kings, but it took more than Voodoo to put this baby together. He started out with a '32 Chevy body and chopped the hell out of it, added the fins from a '57 Buick , the dash of a '57 Oldsmobile, and the steering wheel of a '59 Cadillac — he even hacked in the tailgate of an old Chevy pickup. But that's all stuff a normal, sane hot rod might have.

Take a peek at the engine bay and you're brain starts to boil as it tries to comprehend what it's seeing. Ed fabricated a custom intake and exhaust manifold for a previously junkyard bound Chevy 230 c.i. inline six to accommodate a monstrous 70mm Garrett T3 turbocharger. This thing breaths so heavy, only one half of that carburetor is hooked up. Here's the cherry on top — it's running on stock internals! To make matters even more insane, he's got that chrome smoke stack hooked up to propane and an ignition, this baby breaths fire. Ed say's he'd only got about 1,300 miles on the car and it'll do 85 MPH no problem, but at that point you can tell it's got bias ply tires on it.

Cool as we might think it is, don't take our word for it. Hot-rodding legend Gene Winfield liked it so much he gave it the 2009 Gene Winfield Coolest Custom Award. Pretty amazing considering the car isn't even finished yet!

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
I guess I can appreciate the pseudo-fabrication "skill" required to build them, and I know they are a part of old-skool American hotrodding, but I just HATE rat rods...

:dunno:

·
Banned
471 Posts
Is that how it souppose to look or what, it seem so half assed to me.
Thats what im woundering... never understood rat rods, and who wants a OLD american car with that much power let alone a newer american car.. Im not saying like old camaros and shit, but this thing must handle like garbage, and the ride would be HORRID , i can repect the motor though

·
King of the Jungle
1,265 Posts
"Finished" is a bit different here. Although he says it isn't finished, it is a rat rod which means it probably won't change much in appearance; that's pretty much the rat rod "look". I'm a bigger fan of hot rods like nicely done deuce coupes.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
I love a good rat, but that one does not do it for me. It screams out $$$$ but I'm going to make it look like poo. A true rat rod should be all character and no real $$$ involved.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I would like to see that u-joint blow apart, and see if the guy like "Rat-rods".

·
Registered
112 Posts
It would look so much better with a diff rear, and if they used a 2 door model.

·
Vanilla
1,458 Posts
The turbo setup could have used some patina.

I've seen a few turbo'd rides on the HAMB that pull it off much better than this one.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
yikes, I like some rat rods, but this is awful. The crossover pipe is terrible and the fab work looks really bad on the whole car. And the back? :barf:

Unique, yes, but not my cup of tea at all.

Cool to see a draw-through, but...

·
Registered
26 Posts
It seems that people just throw crap together these days and call it a rat rod.

The neat thing about rat rods for me is when it's something you would have seen in that period using primarily period parts. Not to mention a car that actually has proper proportions.

·
LIVING the DREAM
274 Posts
i dont like this rat rod. but i do like some of them. they dont have to worry about dents, rust, scratches, etc... they can also pull those pin up type chicks we all dig!
i like them for what they are
have a question though. is that turbo bringing in the fuel and air mixture then sending it to the manifold? it looks that way, i just didnt think a turbo would last long doing it this way???

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
Thats a draw through. You need a carbon seal and you cant run an IC, so boost pressure tends to be on the lower side. It wont detonate if its tuned right :dunno:

Setup a vacuum advance and keep the boost low and it works.

·
SFOT Hero of the Year
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For one, the boost is on the low side, more like 5-6psi max. So the charge doesn't heat up too much.

And just like methanol injection, the atomized fuel absorbs heat and lowers the intake temps even more.

It would be the same style of carb you would see on top of a 871 Blower, and just like this turbo setup, the fuel doesn't pre-detonate after pressurization.

Couple the low boost with low compression, a lot of retard on the timing and also notice they mounted the turbo on the opposite side of the intake/exhaust manifolds(to keep the heat away from the intake charge air), and you have great usable power that feels more like a large cube V8 motor than a typical turbo engine.

This thing is not setup to make monster power. It's there to be different and have more power than an N/A I6. It's a statement more than a power adder.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts