Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
rate my single set up, i need advice!

good day, well moment of silence for my twins. Single time, please comment on what i should add / change / get my head out of my ass about on my plans for my set up.

Things I have:

Big FMIC
Hard Pipes
BOV
Couplers and T bolts
SAFCII
MVIV map sensor
SPEC stage 3 clutch
K&N intake
AEM wideband
boost gauge

Things yet to acquire:
T-61 turbo (undecided on hot side need help here)
Chinamani
44mm TiAL V band WG
oil lines
gaskets, ect
3" DP
Intake pipe
Walbro Fuel Pump
Aeromotive AFPR and Lines
MKIV 550cc (want to run 680cc but not sure if i have the approperiate management also need help here)

Biggest question is CAMS, for a T61 my RWHP is suspected to be in the low 500s proably more with the addition of cams. I suspect that 256 or 264 is my best option i want advaice on the cam sizing, possibly a staggered set up, and what
hot side would be best for response that wont just make a mockery of my 225 tires.

~scott

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
264 or 272.. i would do 2jz cams before 256s.. sounds like a pretty good setup otherwise.. .68/,70 should be a good hotside for the turbo.. PM-Performance is running a 61 w/ a .70.. I would check with him..

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do larger cams require more advanced management and larger fuel injectors that a setup with out large cams would. I can see cams allowing for more breathing which inturn requires more much more fuel? Comments?

~scott

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
I dont know what the purpose of the MKIV map sensor is at this point? I have the stock map sensor and not hitting boost cut even at 2 bar and I laid down in the 500's hitting speed cut on the dyno . So I would deff say its not needed. But I dont fully understand the point of it though.

I have a 70 hot side on mine and it works pretty well IMO. On the street I see positive boost in the low 3K range and hit my full boost no matter what its set at at 4k It kinda feels like an on off switch when it reaches full boost, but this is what you will deal with with a single. Lag is lag. I know a friend with a .58 hot side on his and he regrets it on his MKIV. He said he would like more top end from his.
Also dont go with a T series. I would go with something with a GT wheel. Just better technology.

Other then that all looks well. The SAFC works well for what it is, but deff not ideal I am not sure how much the cams will affect the tune either with it. But I guess it dont hurt to try it.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is your hot side t3 flanged? I have seen the gt35R compressor wheel but it was only with a T3 flanged turbo? where did u find ur T4 with gt35r wheel?

~scott

·
Lagger
216 Posts
Well, to your question about cams needing more fuel. Thats a good way of thinking. Larger cams needs more fuel... Thats not completely correct. When you add a higher lobe cam. You don't need the adition of higher flowing injectors. All cams do, is to let intake and exhaust vavle stay open longer. And go down a bit further(sp). So technically you do not need anything much larger than what you have now. The 550's should be good enough for an aftermarket cam. Also IMO having a staggered set of cams, isn't a bad idea. But if you think about it a 264in. and a 272ex. What that means in terms of Advertised(sp) duration. Is that you breathin less air and you push out more air...This isn't a compairison to stock cams. Just take a second to try it out. Breath in for 1 second. and then breath out for 2 seconds... Most likly you will run out of breath.. Though. IF you use these cams. You will get a better streetiblilty(sp). Your idle won't get messed up at all or just a little. With that said i personally would get a matching set. Either a 264 or 272 but never mixed. I have installed alot of these combos on Lancer Evolutions and 1 Impreza STi. I noticed on the dnyo that the cars made 15whp just from installing them. Then with a tune they put out a max of 30whp. IMO agian. My set up is using 272 for a daily car. I know my vaccum will suffur. But if you want to go fast you have to give up acouple of things that make your life easier.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PM-Performance said:
Nope its T4. Notice I said GT35R wheel and not turbo.
Pretty much all of the 61mm's now are that way other then the T series from Turbonetics.

Here is my exact turbo.

http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/gat4b.html

thank u kindly!!! thats just what i am looking for i guess were gonna have the same set up, at least we dont live close.

~scott

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im tempted but for my injector size i think thats just alot of turbo that i would never use.

~scott

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is anyone here currently running a gt4088? I know perf0rmance has one, and im going to chekc his car out on saturday night, so i guess ill see how it feels. Id love to see a 1j dynograph with a gt-40.

~scott

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
stay with the 61.. gt4088 probably isn't what your looking for

1 - 16 of 16 Posts