Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Fly Navy
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... dropped in on a shop today to talk speakers and installation and was left feeling less than impressed, so I'm tempted to try to install myself. Anyways, here's kind what I'm thinking - first off, all the speakers in my car are blown I am pretty sure. Give it any sort of bass boost with the head unit, and they all distort like mad. :hsugh: I'm wanting to spend like $600-ish to just replace the stock speakers. I already have a "so-so" head unit, an Alpine CDE-9852.

Now I know you can fit a 6.5" speaker in the front with a little bit of work. My question is which speaker(s) fit without going too deep in the door? Can anyone recommend something? Also, Crutchfield says I have 6x8's in the rear, and the stereo shop said I had 6.5's in the rear - so which is it? My POS stock, blown subwoofer has been removed.

I'm kinda starting to piece some things together, but I'm wanting to get a component system for the front, and just replace the rear speakers, and then am willing to tack on whatever small amps and misc. parts I need to make it work. Gimme some ideas if you don't mind. I was starting with the Polk MMC6500 6.5" component system, and then going from there.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated! :D

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
Crutchfield is retarded if it says that your rear speakers are 6x8

they are 6.5's in the rear

·
Registered
5 Posts
elemental designs has a lot of components to choose from. elementaldesignaudio.com

i suggest an amp on your components, and use some high end coaxoal sets for the rear fill. I read somewhere theirs some sub kits that use the factory locations...not sure tho.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i haven't tried ed's components but i have 2 of their 11kv2's and they are pretty nice. look into cdt audio components too they are pretty nice. i have a set of their cl series 61/2 components and they sound great. i would suggest taking a listen to some of the audio equipment before you decide on buying them since you may have a sound preference.

·
Fly Navy
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys - appreciate the suggestions. I pretty much drove around all day today trying to find a nice shop, one who carried nicer stuff than low-end JBL and Pioneer. I finally found a place that was super nice, had some cool guys to talk with, and also had some installers/technicians who were real familiar with my car.

I ended up going with MB Quart's all around, with a "Reference" series component in the front (6.5") and a "Discus" (sp?) series 6.5" in the rear fills. They sounded real good when I sampled them, so I went with it. All said and done it was right where I wanted to be budget-wise.

I'm going to talk with them on Monday about a custom 'glass sub enclosure and whatnot when I go in to get the speakers installed. Installation was super-cheap, so I figured I'd save some time and let them do it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yea, i have the MB Quartz reference components in the doors as well, been very happy with it.

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
you can't go wrong with MB Quart's...one of my top choice
Actually you can. We used to be a MB quart dealer and because they couldnt get their shit together they sold out, then wre dropped, then picked up by someone else, and drpped again. Who the hell knows who owns them now....

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
they're owned by Maxxsonics....yeah the people who make the lovely Hifonics products...

older mb quarts = pretty good, newer stuff = pretty shitty

on a side note I blew up a 165K2P today....damn I should have gotten that on film, it actually produced a fireball :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
Actually you can. We used to be a MB quart dealer and because they couldnt get their shit together they sold out, then wre dropped, then picked up by someone else, and drpped again. Who the hell knows who owns them now....
The shop I worked at did the same. It is when I was first introduced to Focals:) I have an older set of MB components I picked up that day still in my truck,this was 4 years ago.

·
1/4? If it starts!
49 Posts
dose anyone know of any TOP END speakers for the MKIV stock replacements, high end stuff. I am looking for high sound quality....

not alpine or pioneer i am getting a nakamichi player soo bumpin to some sony's or pioneers would just be pointless.

·
Fly Navy
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they're owned by Maxxsonics....yeah the people who make the lovely Hifonics products...

on a side note I blew up a 165K2P today....damn I should have gotten that on film, it actually produced a fireball :D
Well, that's a great opinion, but they sound pretty kickass in my opinion. I just got them installed yesterday. Maybe you could've helped earlier by coming in and giving some suggestions rather than telling me something I already know earlier on in the thread (Crutchfield comment).

Anywho, they sound great - I'm gonna source out a custom fiberglass box and a sub + amp from them next to cover the lows.

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts

oh great.... I wish i didn't know that.

As for blowing up a focal...you're going to hell!!!

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
where are the pics at? I saw the title rate my stereo but no pics ..

minguezCD: is that your blue pit?? we have two of them .. our female is about to have her first litter this week.
Yeah - thats my boy Linc ;) Hes still a pup......

prepare for thread jack ;)

·
'93 Supra TT
480 Posts
what are the front's supposed to be?? I saw that u said the 6.5 in the front need to have work done to fit them. I am curious about doing a straight replace with no extra work.

What is the recommended size for the fronts??

thanks in advance

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
what are the front's supposed to be?? I saw that u said the 6.5 in the front need to have work done to fit them. I am curious about doing a straight replace with no extra work.

What is the recommended size for the fronts??

thanks in advance
Even though there are many threads and a sticky with this info..i'm feeling generous at the moment....

4.5" is a direct - no work involved- replacement

1 - 20 of 22 Posts