Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just drained out my coolant and ready to refill it again. I'm using distilled water with non mix toyota coolant and redline watter wetter. How much coolant and how much water do I put in? Thanks.

EDIT: I've already read the mkiv.com article and searched on here. I'm just wondering if the ratio is any different if I put in redline water wetter.

BTW-this is on a 97tt with a greddy 4 row driven in summer/spring weathers of NJ.

·
11,221 Posts
Sup man? I did this like 2 weeks ago, I was asking the same stupid questions. Drain the shit good. Fill up your car with just tap water and drive off that for a day. Drain and refill with tap water a few times in that day to make sure all the old coolant is out.

I did 50/50. I got a big ass jug. I poured the gallon of coolant in there, then I put water in the coolant bottle (which is now empty) to make sure it's a gallon, then poured it in the bigger jug and mixed it with the coolant.

I still find that to be too much coolant. I went to autozone and got an "antifreeze tester". It measures how much coolant is in the mix. I then drained the car (which has tap water) and filled it with the "50/50" mix. I then let the car idle for like 10 mins (with the heat on full). Then I let it cool down. Then I tested the coolant (just open the cap and take out a little coolant to test), and look at what the reading is. If it's too much coolant, drain it and pour in some distilled water. If it's not enough coolant, then drain it and add coolant.

Hit me up on aim if you need more help.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
PsyKotiC RydeR said:
I just drained out my coolant and ready to refill it again. I'm using distilled water with non mix toyota coolant and redline watter wetter. How much coolant and how much water do I put in? Thanks.

EDIT: I've already read the mkiv.com article and searched on here. I'm just wondering if the ratio is any different if I put in redline water wetter.

BTW-this is on a 97tt with a greddy 4 row driven in summer/spring weathers of NJ.
I think the instructions on mkiv.com pretty much tell the story. I would use more coolant than the minimum - never know when you might get unusual weather!
And basically, the water wetter is displacing the distilled water, not the coolant.

·
Track Junkie
1,581 Posts
Never use tap water. your radator will get rusted. 50-50 mix is good, but I usually use 40% coolant and 60% distilled water since the weather never goes below 0 degree F.

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
Generally speaking, 60-40 coolant to water is optimal, not because of the low temperature capacity it has, but because of the high-temperature threshold it allows. approximately 60 percent provides the highest boiling point for the coolant/water mix possible.

It is important to note, however, that water has a slightly higher capacity for heat exchange, thus running a proportionally higher coolant component reduces cooling efficiency of the mix, albeit only slightly - the difference in thermal capacity is approximately only 15% between the two.

The additional additive content of the higher coolant/water mix will allow the different functions of each additive to last longer, not that additive life is a big issue with supra owners, we probably flush the coolant system before half the coolant is "used up" anyway.

·
WI-FI FTW, GTFO fuse box!
8,108 Posts
i say no leaner than a 70/30 ratio plus that water wetter.

just watch out for winter
-jt

·
Registered
240 Posts
I run 20% coolant and 80% distilled water and a bottle of water wetter.. works great for me all year round no problem with cooling issue at all... I'm in texas....

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
just replace your coolant regularly... watter wetter tends to leave a gummy residue in your water jacket... this can eventually build up and clog your coolant lines

all im saying is make sure your coolant is ok with that watter wetter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts