Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The car is a '94 TT auto. RMM downpipe is the only real power mod (OEM EXHAUST).

A few days ago while the car was idling in the garage, I noticed a 'metal rattle' comming from what seems to be the tranny/TQ area. Its not overbearingly load or anything, but the tranny does have about 90k miles on it, and I want to be prepared for a possible failure. The sound is kind of a medium pitch, not really deep, but certainly not high pitched.

The block has about 6k miles on it, never hit the rev limiter, reved higher than the auto shiftpoint for WOT.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I would check the condition of the tranny oil and even go as far as taking out the oil pan and see if you have any debris. Obviously, it does look like your tranny is on it's way out.

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
HmoobSUPRA said:
I would check the condition of the tranny oil and even go as far as taking out the oil pan and see if you have any debris. Obviously, it does look like your tranny is on it's way out.
not necessarily true...my car has this "rattle" although I have narrowed it down to the stall converter...has done it since I put the tranny/stall in...and obviously it has no ill affects towards my car.

Jason

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
HotSoup said:
not necessarily true...my car has this "rattle" although I have narrowed it down to the stall converter...has done it since I put the tranny/stall in...and obviously it has no ill affects towards my car.

Jason
You are probably correct...the first of my recommendation was just as a precaution. The second because of his higher shift points even though it still shifts...eventually it will probably get worst. Not much you can do besides making sure the fluid is good and at the proper level till the tranny gives up....

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt jack the car up to listen, but it sounded like it was comming from right under the firewall area, maybe a little farther closer to the brace (not much).

The transmission shifts great and I cannot hear the noise unless its idling (even then I usually dont notice it unless im in the garage). I havent driven another auto supra, but when im crusing down my street at 20-30mph while everything is cold the tranny seems to shift a little later than when warmed up. This might be normal.

Ill check and replace the fluid at the next oil change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts