Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Lately when i drive my car, i hear this rattling noise coming from behind the dash almost like in the glove box area...I thought it was something i had in the glove box, but it wasnt..

Then i notice that it only happens when i am boosting on the first turbo before the second turbo comes alive...

My car is 6spd BPU..

Also the car still runs fine and pulls very hard and the boost is always the where it should be..the first turbo spools quick and everything works the way it is supposed to, but it just makes this annoying rattle

anyone have any ideas

Thanks
Ant

·
Registered
790 Posts
boost control solenoid? Some of them out there are quite noisy, if you have one you may want to mount it somewhere else if thats the cause of the noise.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,206 Posts
^^ That's what I was gonna say. I checked your sig to see if you had the Apex'I AVC-R like I do. It's noisy as hell and I can hear it tick even under WOT. Does the GReddy Profec solenoid click too?

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
I'm thinking it's something more like this:

Actually I would check the EGCV actuator/valve. That is the one that controls the ceramic disc mentioned earlier which often rattles inside the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah im pretty sure its not the boost controller solenoid...This noise happens even with the BC off...i have a greddy profec B and i love it..IMO the best and easiest EBC to use...

The noise isnt really a ticking noise..its more of a rattle and it only happens when im boosting on the first turbo....i mean it might be there when both are boosting but i just cant hear it..the car gets loud after 4k rpms..

im guessing if it is that valve in the exhaust that i can just take the DP off and i will be able to get to it right??

Also what is the fix for it...is it just some bolts that need tightening or what??

thanks
Ant

·
Blue Thunder
3,429 Posts
Definatley the EGBV !!!! Had this last year. Only way to fix is to get another EGBV.
It's a pretty big piece. The valve itself has loosened from the heat.

I had this rattle for years !!! Just thought it was this 10 mm socket i dropped
between the engine and firewall !!! LOL

You should be able to acquire one from someone who has gone single.

B

ps:I also have the Profec-B.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I was going to send you a pm 9kTT, but your box is full.
I think that is what i have. I have this light faint rattle as soon as i am about or before getting into boost. and it gets louder with higher rpm and load. I just wonder if that's your symptom. how do you test for it. my car still boosts fine, and no other symptoms. maybe just less mpg at 17 right now around town and some highway. let me know.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Detonation is often described as a rattling sound... be careful. I would pull and inspect your sparkplugs for "peppering". What sparkplugs are you using? How much boost are you running and what octane are you using?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
All you are askin are on my sig. 91 octane. I'm talking about light throttle at any rpm and then I am still in vacuum close to 0 psi and on. I would hear a faint rattle/zipping sound. And as I get into boost more I hear more. Then at transition, quiet. Then when both turbos come online i hear it again. No matter what rpm, but It is boost or turbo related. I pulled the plug and they appear fine to my untrained eyes and no problem with power. Boost is steady. I am leaning towards the egcv making the rattle.

Edit: just to add, this started happening after a few months of spring modding my ebv to increase my first turbo to 13psi before transition.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Regarding noise while boosting, I just wanted to add that the mbc may also be a culprit. I will get to clean it this holiday as I know it gets oil in there. Here's a video showing how the hallman mbc was diagnosed as a source of leak.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZzGe_25rg0

1 - 11 of 11 Posts