Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i noticed this after i had the car for 2 days and after driving for 4-5 minutes and if i am at a light and in neutral the car makes a rattling noise..but when i press the clutch the noise goes away..they previous owner said that its the flywheel spinning but i think that the rattle has gotten a big louder than before..this doesnt happen right after i start the car..but after a lil bit of driving it makes that rattle..anybody know what this could be??
Thanks a bunch

J

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the world of the Getrag transmission. Solid flywheels cause the trans make lots of noise. They make noise normally but if you have a different flywheel get used to it!

·
0 Posts
Yah! The lightened flywheel that comes with TRD twin rattles like mad also. You just have to get used to it!:D

M

·
0 Posts
Mine must be broken then....

Far as I know my car is stock (solid flywheel?) and it makes no noise. I do notice a light thumping (sounds like the rear end) noise when enganging first gear, not every time either....

·
Registered
283 Posts
PR,
If you are running the stock clutch (I assume that you are), then the rattling that you are hearing is *not* normal. It is a sign that your flywheel is worn and an indication that you are soon due for a clutch replacement. :(

This would also explain why the noise is getting worse (since the flywheel is continuing to degrade).

Sorry for the bad news. :(

If you are running an aftermarket clutch with a lightweight flywheel, then the noise you are hearing is normal.

FYI,
K

PsyKotiC RydeR said:
Well, i noticed this after i had the car for 2 days and after driving for 4-5 minutes and if i am at a light and in neutral the car makes a rattling noise..but when i press the clutch the noise goes away..they previous owner said that its the flywheel spinning but i think that the rattle has gotten a big louder than before..this doesnt happen right after i start the car..but after a lil bit of driving it makes that rattle..anybody know what this could be??
Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
283 Posts
Re: Mine must be broken then....

Mello2,
In regards to the stock flywheel, it only begins to rattle after it gets considerably worn. A rattling flywheel is one of the first signs of a failing clutch. If your's is stock and is not rattling, then you are in good shape.

The light thumping noise that you are hearing on the first gear shift is completely normal. Just characteristic of the Getrag tranny.

Sounds like you have nothing to worry about....
(no pun intended).

FYI,
Kelly

mello2 said:
Far as I know my car is stock (solid flywheel?) and it makes no noise. I do notice a light thumping (sounds like the rear end) noise when enganging first gear, not every time either....

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Re: Mine must be broken then....

lol mevin the old stock thump noise thought you heard it in my car scared you a little right i know it did for me !
mello2 said:

M

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Mine must be broken then....

RanGer498 said:
lol mevin the old stock thump noise thought you heard it in my car scaresd you a little right i know it did for me !
Sup Frank, nah it really didn't scare....made me wonder though.

I know what everyone says about the heavy duty tranny and all, but from what I know (not too much) if the gears in the rear end are engaging (thump), then the clutch is not fully dis-engaged. My old automatic Supra would do that, but that's normal. Also, if I push the clutch pedal down as hard as I can, I don't get the thump. I'm going to adjust the pedal hopefully this weekend.

Dukki, sorry for taking your thread in a different direction. Btw, are you going to Bullish on Saturday? Frank, Dukki, Vic?

Melvin

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info kgb!!! i'll find out if i have a stock flywheel or not..

Melvin, i have to go to work so i cant make it to bullshit racing...how bout you u goinG?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
after talking to mello about this dukkie you should find out if the guy did put in an aftermarket lightweight flywheel!

this might be the problem! but i dont think you need to worrie your car is not slipping!and feels good!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Happens like this....
First the rattle, then a little bit later....the clutch starts slipping.

Don't ask me how I know. :(

If PR is on a stock clutch, he better start saving for a new one. Again, sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings....but believe me when I say that I've been there and done that.

PR, best of luck with it. FWIW, you still have a bit of time left on that clutch (assuming stock), but it is starting to fade on you.

Later,
K

RanGer498 said:
after talking to mello about this dukkie you should find out if the guy did put in an aftermarket lightweight flywheel!

this might be the problem! but i dont think you need to worrie your car is not slipping!and feels good!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Melvin,
No problem, buddy. Wasn't sure if that was you or not (wasn't your original signon 'Mello'?). BTW, you may be on to something regarding the clutch pedal adjustment issue. hmmmm...

BTW, sorry to hear about your misfortune with your 'single' Supra. Glad that everything seems to have worked out and that you are okay. Me, I'm just hoping to be able to scrape up the funds to go single before old age gets the best of me. :(

Later,
K

mello2 said:
Kelly, thanks for the info.

Melvin

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks....

I've used either my name "Melvin" or "mello2" (Melvin, Lorraine and out 2 dogs). I was actually using "Melvin" when Dusty took over.

Thanks for the concern with my old Dawg. The new 6 speed is way better though :D.

As for the thumping in the rear end, kind of makes sense to me that it's not completely disengaged, otherwise it wouldn't thump when you just put it in gear......In particular when I hold the pedal down as far as I can and hear no thump. Too bad it's winter in New England :(.

Oh yeah, typo about the gears in the rear, they're engaged all the time. But the clutch disconnects it from the flywheel, and it should be completely disconnected when the pedal is depressed....correct

Stock flywheels should not rattle either. How many miles to you have on your car Dukki? I the life of a clutch is directly related to how the person drives but just wondering.....

Melvin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts