Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed 1.2" drop springs from Suspension Techniques, now there is a rattling up front every time I hit a bump. Someone suggested I need new spring perches. :dunno:
Anyone have similar experiences? I haven't gone for a new alignment yet because I want to clear this up first. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
hmm, i have this problem in the rear, i think its the sway bar bushings for me... Could be strut mount, or the springs have not seated properly, although if youve been driving with them for some time this is probably unlikely...

Ide go with some kind of bushing/strut mount/spring perch

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,061 Posts
Lance - When I had the KYB GR2 shocks on my car one of them broke as soon as I installed it with the lowering springs. The rattle was the only thing that gave it away. How does it handle?

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't driven it much, maybe 50 miles, it handles great, just that rattling is driving me nuts. It sounds like something is loose up front, but I've checked everything, it all seams tight. It did not do this with the stock suspension.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Try pushing down on the car while watching the top of the strut. Also jack the car up and take a wheel off, push the suspension in all different directions and try to find where the rattle is coming from.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
before I installed my coilovers, I was getting a rattle from the a tear in the rubber disc between the spring and the upper perch

·
Registered
219 Posts
ah!! i had the same problem, it was b/c my strut bushing was fuked, the rubber thinggy thats btwn the chassis and the struts. when i put my struts in i knew those rubber things were messed up, but i didnt care to change em.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Rajunz,
I have a similar situation as to yours, but it's in the rear of the car, I have KYB GR-2 struts (JUNK), and you can not tighten down the strut tower mount all the way, since the strut rod is not grooved that much and my strut tower mounts are tightened all the way as much as i can get them. I guess due to the lowering springs, if they were stock it would have more pressure on the upper mounts to push against the nut, on mine it sounds like a knock everytime i run over a bump... sounds nasty and annoying..

I just need to buy the right struts...

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crulpower - You win the prize dude, we need to hook up sometime. I pulled the caps off of the shock towers last night, added washers under the strut bolts and sure enough ALL of the rattling went away. The threads were a tad too short so they never tightened all the way.
Thanks again guys for all the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts