Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have everything needed to install the amp But I dont know which wires to splice to ook up the RCA.

Thanks in advance

Cory

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The best place to take the signal from is before the amp, in-b/w the head unit and the factory amp.

Since it is a left right rca pair you are converting to, you will need a left and right speaker source, that means 2 channels per pair of rca's. If you are upgrading the amp, or just want more power to your highs, use you factory speaker lines going to the rear speakers. If you are using the amp for subs, then take the sub out off of the amplifer. You will only get a left or right signal, but switch your amp to accept a mono signal and then you'll be good to go.

FYI any time you use only a left or a right rca (not both one or the other) you are sending a mono signal. If you are using both the left and right of the rca pair, that is a stereo signal.
Good luck on your install,
jakub

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just using the new amp for just one sub. And leaving the OEM amp to run the front speakers.

How do I "take the sub out off of the amplifer"?

Which wire(s) is it I have to run the new amp off of ,just for the sub?

thanks a lot Ear Candy

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Redturbo said:
I am just using the new amp for just one sub. And leaving the OEM amp to run the front speakers.

How do I "take the sub out off of the amplifer"?

Which wire(s) is it I have to run the new amp off of ,just for the sub?

thanks a lot Ear Candy
I can't think of the wires off of the top of my head... here is how you locate them.

If your installing it into a mkiv supra, the factory am resides under the passenger seat. remove the seat for better access to the amp. You can splice in at the amp here or you can do it at the factory sub. It will be easier for you to do it at the factory sub, b/c you will not have to sift thru wires. But the signal will be the cleanest if you take it at the amp.

If you have lots of experience then use your multi meter to locate the sub signal at the amp. if you are not the greatest installer, locate the factory sub (spare tire) unplug the speaker wires and test for + -, and then attach them to the correct LLC lines.
Jakub

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so pretty much all I have to do is hook up the wires that are going to the factory sub, to the amp . Then run the power cord, and run the amplified wires to the sub .......and I am finished?

i dont need an RCA adapter?

Please conferm this before I screw something up.

Thanks agian Ear Candy!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woah never ever rush things

Redturbo said:
so pretty much all I have to do is hook up the wires that are going to the factory sub, to the amp . Then run the power cord, and run the amplified wires to the sub .......and I am finished?
Fist take your time, never rush the install, the key to success is patience!

Run the power wires to where you are going to mount the amp, use a good clean gound, and fuse the remote turn on and the constant 12V. Remove the factory sub, test the factory speaker wires for + -, once you have the wires sorted out then you can finish the install. If you amp has high lvl inputs, you wont need the rca adapter. IF your amp does not have high lvl input, you will need the rca (aka LLC). wire + to + and - to - tape them up well, and set your amp to receive a mono signal.

Redturbo said:
i dont need an RCA adapter?

Please conferm this before I screw something up.

Thanks agian Ear Candy!
Depends on the amp!
Now you can finish the rest of the install.
Take your time!!!
Good luck,
Jakub

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O.K. i checked my amp and I dont have any high/low inputs.
So I will have to hook up the RCA.

What wires do I hook the rca up to? Like what colors or could you tell me where I could look to find out?

Thanks a lot (agian);)

Cory

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Woah never ever rush things

Ear Candy said:

Run the power wires to where you are going to mount the amp, use a good clean gound, and fuse the remote turn on and the constant 12V. Remove the factory sub, test the factory speaker wires for + -, once you have the wires sorted out then you can finish the install. If you amp has high lvl inputs, you wont need the rca adapter. IF your amp does not have high lvl input, you will need the rca (aka LLC). wire + to + and - to - tape them up well, and set your amp to receive a mono signal.
Cory,
Just do what I told you here. I live in canada, and the supra's wires may or may not be different, plus its better to test and do it right the first time around.

Use a multimeter and measure the voltage, but it must be in AC ot DC to measure speaker voltage.

Lastly the line level converter (rca adapter) should indicate the +&- inputs, just go + to + and - to - or you'll have phase probs.
Jakub

1 - 8 of 8 Posts