Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team,

I had installed extended studs on my MK3 and I'm having an issue getting the rear discs over the parking brake drum.

Sucker is VERY tight, e-brake is not engaged, I had attempted to place the disc over everything and slowly torque the disc over the parking brake shoes to see if it'd slide over and get in place and i started peeling off the ceramic material so i backed off. (I did some searching on the forum and I didn't come up with anything. Perhaps if you can share some tips and tricks it will help me get my car back on the road and maybe someone else in the future that will search the same issue. I'm very reluctant on posting new threads on this site because there is a VAST amount of information from people that have 'been there done that' sort of speak)

Not the greatest move but after about an hour of looking at the damn thing desperation caused more issues. New shoes are on the way to fix the issue but im concerned of running into the same issue.

Im asking if any of you have any tips for getting this rear disc over the e-brake parking shoes.

Do i just need to bring this adjustment ALL the way in? If so how do i adjust it once the disc is over the shoes? (I apparently slightly install the disc and get to it before i get it to sit properly?) I want to say I had tried to install them with the adjuster even out of the shoes and still had the same issues. I get back to the shop this weekend to try it all again.

Continue diagram from TSRM:

Also, can anyone clarify what these "matchmarks" are? I'm typically good at taking lots of photos prior to uninstalling items so I have a good idea of how it goes back together but I wasn't expecting this to be a pain in the ass.

·
90T
861 Posts
Yes, back off the adjuster until the drum fits over the shoes. With the disk installed, there is access to the adjuster on the backside though a hole after you remove the rubber plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understood ill give it a shot later today. Regardless if it does it or not ill be sure to follow up. That way we dont have to have another dead thread with no solution. Appreciate the response and taking the time to help.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,883 Posts
there is access to the adjuster on the backside though a hole after you remove the rubber plug.
There is access to the adjuster through a small round hole in the brake rotor after you remove the rubber plug from the brake rotor.

Also, the "matchmarks" are only there to help you orient the rotor so that the rubber plug lines up with the access notch in the hub.

Reactions: srenslow

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I forgot to put match marks on mine when I removed the rotor this past weekend but to what bitshftr said, seems like there is a preferred orientation to line up the rubber plug with the large opening on the hub. I actually just noticed that I can see feint markings from where the smaller holes in the rotor sat on the hub so now I'm doubly sure I put it back on the same way. I didn't take apart the shoe though and it was very easy to remove and reinstall the rotor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Da Kine Guy- my man this has cleared up my stupid brain so much.
K just got to the car and backed in that adjustment knob and the baby’s slid right over the brake shoes.
I swear sometimes the most extensive modifications are the easiest and the most mundane ones are the most troubling.
For anyone that is having troubles with this in the future : ADJUST THE KNOB before putting your rotor back in. The match mark and alignment on the hub has been clarified above. Photos speak a thousand words. Much appreciated I love this community thank you for helping me get my shitbox back together.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Understood ill give it a shot later today. Regardless if it does it or not ill be sure to follow up. That way we dont have to have another dead thread with no solution. Appreciate the response and taking the time to help.
Thank you for updating the thread and making this a resource for relieving future headaches for others. Gold star for that!

Be glad you didn't take apart the shoes, that's uh... that's not a fun thing to fix haha.

Reactions: srenslow

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Sorry to bump the thread but I thought this would be good to add in for future reference. Took apart the passenger rear brake this past weekend and found that the plug-to-notch alignment was different. SO! It's not always one-to-one with those guys being aligned. Heed the TSRM advice and snap a picture or make a mark so you can put it back together the same way and not mess with the existing run out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Nah this is good follow up. Im still having some issues with the brake locking up for some reason once everything was tightened up so im still back there messing with it. Installed new parking brake shoes and everything went back together much smoother. I got everything bolted back together and went to roll fenders in the rear and I couldn't rotate the hub at all unless I backed the bolts out a bit on the rear calipers.

Getting good at taking this apart and back together though so this thread is still alive and being useful for me. Once I get everything back in order I plan on re-bleeding the system and going from there. We'll see I guess.

Thank you for all the input on here. This is all useful information for myself and Im sure for someone else in the future that might come across this.

EDIT:
So this might actually be something caused by new caliper bolts. Not OEM bolts but i matched them side by side and they appear to be the same length. But perhaps once its somewhat seated on the caliper the bolts could possibly be too long? Causing it to clamp down too much. Man I feel like this is armature hour working on this thing lately. Im going to put a washer in there and see if that fixes it. Hopefully another stupid lookover that can be fixed easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts