Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So I am looking to have my car resprayed next week. She is a 93 JDM TT6. For those that have repainted a black car, did you go with the original OEM paint? I've been reading others say they've gone with BMW Jet black, and Dupont Triple black. Any other recommendations?

Anyone with firsthand experience have an opinion one way or the other? As of now I'm going with the factory black and don't intend to change colors, but its not completely off the table if I see something that catches my eye.

I am also thinking it would be a good idea to have the weather strippings replaced. Any helpful advice on what to ask them to look for specifically to replace?

I'm not overly concerned about resale value, I don't intend to sell the car once I import it back to the US and it's a JDM so apparently they don't receive any love and are bastard childs anyways :loser: I just want to do it once, and do it correctly.

Thanks for the assistance everyone!

·
Registered
319 Posts
if budget is no concern, replace all weather strip and trim. Old weathered trim looks the worse on a black car.
As for the colour, you can probably visit your local bodyshop and look through all the colour chips they have and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I do plan on replacing the weather stripping, definitely. It has a tiny bit of rust on the top of the rear hatch too, will be asking for that to be fixed up as well. Hopefully he does have some different colors I can look at to decide from

·
Registered
252 Posts
You can't go wrong with fresh paint in the oem black and fresh weatherstripping. Just my 2 cents. Good luck whatever you decide. Post up some pictures if you can.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
In addition to what other "black color" you prefer, I would also talk to an expert auto painter about durability of the OEM black since it's a single stage paint and Toyota didn't apply clear coat over it. So are newer multi-stage paints better or worse? I've heard varying opinions especially with EPA banning use of some solvents and going to water based.

·
Registered
319 Posts
^My car is sprayed with waterbase, it's one of the darkest blacks ive ever seen. Also, modern day paints are 100% better than single stage, aside from cost.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^My car is sprayed with waterbase, it's one of the darkest blacks ive ever seen. Also, modern day paints are 100% better than single stage, aside from cost.
In addition to what other "black color" you prefer, I would also talk to an expert auto painter about durability of the OEM black since it's a single stage paint and Toyota didn't apply clear coat over it. So are newer multi-stage paints better or worse? I've heard varying opinions especially with EPA banning use of some solvents and going to water based.
You can't go wrong with fresh paint in the oem black and fresh weatherstripping. Just my 2 cents. Good luck whatever you decide. Post up some pictures if you can.

Thanks for the input everyone, I will ask him these questions and also what his plan is. Thankfully he's a friend of mine so I can ask him what he thinks is best and he will be honest with me about if the OEM paint is outdated or if there is a better method to apply multiple coats. I'm honestly mostly clueless when it comes to paint, this will be the first car I've had painted.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I've been reading and have read that the Toyota black has some yellow mixed in. Does anyone have a favorite paint code for a deep, dark, glossy black? Preferably one not at all mixed with any other colors?

·
boost life
2,502 Posts
Toyota 202 single stage is a real pain in the ass to keep swirls and holograms away.. its a soft paint , even certain brands of microfiber cloth will leave bad swirls clearly visible in direct light ... even when birds leave me a gift , it leaves a stain that I always have to polish out.

Whenever I decide to repaint mine , will never go back to single stage period. Do let us know what your painter recommends and why

·
Registered
367 Posts
When the time comes for mine to get resprayed I'll consider going with a slightly different black thats not single stage. I think a black with alot of depth to it is what I'm after. Definitely replace the weatherstripping as others have said or you will notice it looking old next to the fresh paint.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Toyota 202 single stage is a real pain in the ass to keep swirls and holograms away.. its a soft paint , even certain brands of microfiber cloth will leave bad swirls clearly visible in direct light ... even when birds leave me a gift , it leaves a stain that I always have to polish out.

Whenever I decide to repaint mine , will never go back to single stage period. Do let us know what your painter recommends and why

Yeah no kidding...I have so many swirl marks its unbelievable. I was reading somewhere that the Toyota 202 actually has yellow mixed in...like 446 grams black/16 grams yellow. So that might be part of why it's not as "black" as other blacks I've seen.

Also, any opinions on if painting the car a "non" oem black would hurt the resale value compared to painting it factory 202? If really prefer not to use the stock black just because it seems to be a sub par paint.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When the time comes for mine to get resprayed I'll consider going with a slightly different black thats not single stage. I think a black with alot of depth to it is what I'm after. Definitely replace the weatherstripping as others have said or you will notice it looking old next to the fresh paint.
After speaking with my painter, we are probably going to go with a custom deep black, which will be just completely black and no other colors mixed in. I have a bit of a language barrier being that I'm in Japan, and they use different paints than the US does. But that's my understanding as of now. I will keep you all updated!

I'm also open for suggestions or for things to ask him, I've still got until Monday to decide. Also Sorry to everyone for not multi-quoting, my phone is being a PITA at the moment.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you don't mind me asking how much are you spending for this repainting project? I'm in the same shoes as yours. My 97 still has original black 202 paint. Prices ranged from 5k-10k.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts