Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard its not recommened to re- surface the oem flywheel on a v160. Does any one know why?? Has anyone ever re-surface their oem flywheel when putting in a new clutch. Did u guys have any problem with a re-surfaced flywheel? I have a flywheel with about 16,000 miles on it, would i run into any problems if i tried to re-surface it?? Thanks in advance.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Although it is not generally recommended, if the people doing it know what they are doing it would be OK. They need to know taht it is a dual mass flywheel and there are some things they need to do for it to work appropriately. SOuth Bend clutches did mine, and it has almost 50,000 since... but YMMV

Most important - it needs to be someone who knows how to deal with dual mass flywheels

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
I thought the only way to cut it without totally screwing it up is a dry cut...no cutting fluids at all. And you can only remove a few thousands max...I forget the exact amount but if you don't already know, find that out to make sure it's not cut too far and destroyed.

Are you sure you need it resurfaced with only 16,000 miles on it? Mine had 40k when I took it out and it looked perfect....unless you drag raced the hell out of it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Are you sure you need it resurfaced with only 16,000 miles on it? Mine had 40k when I took it out and it looked perfect....unless you drag raced the hell out of it.
I agree. Unless it's been run with either a very agressive clutch material or the stock clutch was worn down to the rivets and they cut into the flywheel there should be no need to resurface. Mine still has the original machine marks on it after 10,000 miles. However it did have some clutch deposits on it. I just put some 60 grit sandpaper on a small ocillating sander and cleaned up the surface. Looks new now. Make sure you wipe with brake cleaner before reassembling. You should only need to resurface if there is obvious wear. Then it need to be dry cut or ground. Tape over/plug the slots to the dual mass spring area so shit doesn't get in there when machining/grinding.

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
u can resurface stock flywheels as long as the flywheel passes the inspection mentioned in the book. u spin the flywheel one direction and it has to snap back. I took my flywheel out at 60k resurfaced it and gave it to Rich and he's been driving in it since. His fw had about 60k on it and when we took it out it would rotate but not rotate back.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Anyone else had their flywheel re-surfaced by SouthBend.. Buying a clutch from SB and getting rid of my WOTM clutch ..Deciding whether to just buy new or re-surface (flywheel only has 4k miles) as it's a time thing as well looking to get my car done asap and not sure how long process will be thru them.. Also price to re-surface thru them if at all?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I bought my clutch from south bend and they did it no charge to my oem dm flywheel. I got the clutch and flywheel shipped back together in about 3 days after they received my flywheel. Im also pretty close to them though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts