Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna drop my flywheel of next week to get dry turned anything else I should mention?

Have re-surfaced flywheels lasted sometime?

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
i would take this opportunity to go ahead and buy a lightweight unit, if you are stuck turning the stock one make sure it is done in a shop that has done a dual-mass fw before, they can be tricky if you dont know what your doing.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
dry turning is fine as long as they tape up all the knooks and crannies. Make sure the rest of your FW is in good shape before going thru all the trouble. For the person that asked. You will probably be saving yourself at least $450.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I called one place so far and the guy said he has never heard the term "dry turned" ...But to bring it in and they can take a look at it..

a few more places..

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
LexISpooled said:
I called one place so far and the guy said he has never heard the term "dry turned" ...But to bring it in and they can take a look at it..

a few more places..
Don't take it there! I have had mine dry turned and I get no rattles, no noise, just perfect clutch engagement each time.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
where in Maryland are you.There is a place here in Pa that can cut it.I am about 25min over the Delaware boarder and they charge $40,it takes about 30 mins to cut.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jam98tt said:
where in Maryland are you.There is a place here in Pa that can cut it.I am about 25min over the Delaware boarder and they charge $40,it takes about 30 mins to cut.

Actually not far from MD/PA line, where in PA are they, tel #?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I don't have the Name and # right now,but I have got mine cut there and Rich from Fuzion uses them a lot.You can call Rich Tomorrow at 610-789-7080 and tell i (Erven)told you to call him to get the name and number of the machine shop that cut the supra flywheel.They are in Broomall,Pa

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
"If you wish to re-use your stock flywheel, don't make the mistake I original did. I had the flywheel "wet" turned. When they "wet" turned it, they used radiator fluid to keep the cutting process cool. This sent tons of metal shavings and fluid down into the rubber part of the flywheel. Of course, I installed it later, and found out that the rubber in the flywheel is actually used for something. Go figure. If you want to re-use your original flywheel you need to ensure that the rubber in it is still good. Once the transmission is removed (as described below) make sure that the rubber is still good, by attempting to turn the flywheel more than 2 inches either way while it is bolted to your crankshaft. If you can't, then the rubber is still good and you may be able to re-use it. Then you need to have a shop turn it "dry" (no fluid), and make sure you cover all interal areas with duct tape or something that can handle the heat, so that nothing gets down into that rubber"

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/clutch/index.html

also if you are interested in a lighten flywheel pm me i have 2 one new one used (rps and findenza);)

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
do not cut the stock fly. yes it can be done. and yes you may get lucky and itll last for a lil while. but 1 thing i have learned is there will never be any problems form a new fly over a cut flw. after cutting a stock fly i have always seen dampening noises and people saying the shavings got in the rubbber and it just not lasting long at all. sure its a quick fix since the stock fly cost so much but since many of us have been there none of us would do it again after it. look up phoenix friction in middlesex n.j. they can build or cut anything. they manufacture any kinda friction parts for dump trucks/race cars/etc.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
i have a fidanza lw new fly for 200 bucks. way lighter than stock, car revs up way faster

·
OG
1,059 Posts
South Bend Clutch dry-turned mine, and I have about 30k miles on it since then. Before you get it turned, though, there is a spec for the play in the FW in the FSM. Do check it to make sure that your flywheel is still behaving the way that a dual mass flywhell should.

Cheers
Rich B.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts