Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my Sup has been parked for a while near a sprinkler because some gaskets busted. As time passed, the water has been baked onto my car, the hood is where most of it's at, and a heavy coat of pollen covers my car too. It used to be black, now it's yellow and white. Now these water spots are white, and really rough. Tucson uses reclaimed water =( My last car has this problem and I couldn't get it off. Is there anything out on the market that can take this stuff off? All the things I've tried got most of it off, but it left little outlines of the marks, and they were clearly visible on my Viper Blue Mazda Mx6. I don't even want to think how it's going to look on my Black Sup. Thanks guys

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I really need one of those, or maybe even a garage...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd do claybar myself, but if that doesn't work, they sell hard water spot removers somewhere. I've seen it before in a store. Worse case scenario, some wetsanding will be at hand.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,447 Posts
Have a Portercable? DACP (Megs #83) the area with a cutting pad, then use Megs #80 with a polishing pad.

Take it to a detailer, they should come out hopefully. An old trick is vinegar and water on the area for a few minutes, and then to polish the section. Clay bar won't help you much with water spots, sorry. Polish will.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^^ I trust this guy. I could shave using his car's paint as a mirror.

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
Try a vingar wash for really bad water spots.
Then a fine cut polish and swirl remover with porter cable.

hey...
MDSuPeRStAr
already got it, that will fix it.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,447 Posts
MarksSupra33 said:
^^^^ I trust this guy. I could shave using his car's paint as a mirror.
Thanks Mark!! :cool:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vinegar huh? I would have never thought of that. This morning I pushed my car out into the rain so all the pollen and other junk on it will hopefully run off. Then I guess I have to do the whole car in vinegar and water. Is there a certain amount of vinegar I put into the water? I'd be using a gallon bucket of water...If that really matters

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,510 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy a PC DACP with the pads and the compounds.. I did my car 2 days ago with those supplies and couldnt be happier with the results. Even though my car's exterior is not perfect (which I knew it wouldnt be before I started) I can say there there is no waterspots or swirl makrs at all.. So buy the PC DACP and the pads and never look back bro!

·
Wheel Whore
2,313 Posts
Its risky but on a red car I used this stuff you can buy from home depot called goof-off. Its pretty much a paint thinner. I would rub small water stains off then immediately, wash the area, use the clay bar to remove any remaining residue, then a good polish like zaino. Hope this helps, and BTW, did you buy your mkiv from utah?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dan94TT said:
Do yourself a favor and buy a PC DACP with the pads and the compounds.. I did my car 2 days ago with those supplies and couldnt be happier with the results. Even though my car's exterior is not perfect (which I knew it wouldnt be before I started) I can say there there is no waterspots or swirl makrs at all.. So buy the PC DACP and the pads and never look back bro!
Where can we get this stuff, Dan?

·
Ticketing Ricers Evrywhre
1,485 Posts
JoeSpec94 said:
Well, my Sup has been parked for a while near a sprinkler because some gaskets busted. As time passed, the water has been baked onto my car, the hood is where most of it's at, and a heavy coat of pollen covers my car too. It used to be black, now it's yellow and white. Now these water spots are white, and really rough. Tucson uses reclaimed water =( My last car has this problem and I couldn't get it off. Is there anything out on the market that can take this stuff off? All the things I've tried got most of it off, but it left little outlines of the marks, and they were clearly visible on my Viper Blue Mazda Mx6. I don't even want to think how it's going to look on my Black Sup. Thanks guys
If you want to remove the hard water spots, get some CLR from the store. You dilute it in a spray bottle. Fill the bottle 1/4-full of CLR and then fill the rest up with extremely warm, almost hot water. Spray it all over the car only when the paint is cool and hasn't just been driven or been sitting in the sun. Let it run all over the car and then wash it immediately with soap & water. Repeat this a couple of timesif you have really heavy water spots. I learned this technique when I detailed cars professionally in high school. It really works wonders. You can use it on your wheels also, only if they are painted. It will eat chrome or polished wheels. I hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
763 Posts
What is CLR?

It is scary that you would trust something on your paint to remove water spots but it is so strong it would eat a chrome or polished wheel???? Sounds WTF to me. but i could be wrong.

I would try avoiding some of the harsher methods that involve a buffer or any harsh chemicals.

I would personally try a soft water wash (like mr clean) then do a viniger bath (you have to experiment with the strength, it is a basically a mild acid bath, so it must be neutralized with soap aftawards, soap is a base by the way. ) then re-wash with a soft water bath and quality soap like Sonax.

Then I would clay bar the car if needed and a coat of good wax.
If you prep the surface correctly there are several quality waxes out there that will do the trick. I also use 100% micro-fiber towels.

By the way, I have a black car that had tons of water spots etched into the paint and did this same proceedure and I can't find any water spots on my car now. Also the paint feels softer than fine mink and looks like a mirror.

Hope this helps. -pete

1 - 20 of 27 Posts