Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i came across this video a few minutes ago. Its basically a r32 GTR, a fd, an MKIII, a newer 300ZX and a galant vr4 racing on a track.

vid here

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
good fine havent seen that before....i think if the supe had a better driver he would have at least pulled 2nd....either way bunch of sweet cars!

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
That vid makes me happy :);). Seriously though ... finally the mk3 competing with some great cars ... on a professional video. I agree that a better driver would have yeild 2nd. Soo glad that I got this befor it 404s for overuse of bandwidth :);).

Anyone know if that was a 1jz mk3? It ran a mid 14 in the 1320 on wet ground. I think all of the cars were stock. Sounds like a 1jz to me.

Thanks. Post more if you can. Best regards.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
I agree ... BUT ... I don't. A healthy 7mgte in completely stock form in optimal conditions should run a high 14 ... maybe mid.

I suppose it could be.

BUT ... on wet ground ... and since the video is filmed in Japan ... I think it is more so probable that it was 1jz.

We will probably never know for sure ... so there is no point in discussing.

Watched it again.
1. Driver could have gotten better positioning at the start.
2. Driver had a tough time dealing with SOME of those turns. Could have been better ... but that's what hapens when you are racing ... you don't always take everyt turn as you wished you had.
3. Great pass on the FC. <---That was a good turn.

4. Last point ... I want more video of the mk3. I could never have enough mk3 vids.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think its a 7m...thing is I think that a JDM 7m and a US 7m are different....a 89turbo 7m in usa clocked 15.2-.3 quartermile times...in japan I think they ran 14.5-.6 ....But that definately sounds like a 7m...I could be wrong..but I dont think its a 1jz

-89wooosh

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
I think that the Supra was a Turbo A. If you look closely you can see that it has a Turbo A duct.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
Typenamehere said:
I think that the Supra was a Turbo A. If you look closely you can see that it has a Turbo A duct.
Yeah ... I was thinking the same. Graphics were too bad for the duct to be incredibly noticeable ... BUT ... when the mk3 passes the fc ... you can see the duct. Thanks for telling us.

Therefore, I vote ... Tubo A.

Soo ... this would be a 7m ... but with A modifications like no maf and such.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
wow those guys need to learn how to freakin drive...oversteering like hell! I agree the guy in the mkiii could do 2nd easily...crappy driving by his part...my grandma is faster on a wheelchair

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
They were all running pretty well. Although they could have probably done better, it isn't as easy as it looks.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NegativeGeForce said:
wow those guys need to learn how to freakin drive...oversteering like hell!
umm... its called drifting...

·
Life is BOOST
556 Posts
From what i remember, i think it was a 1jz Supra

later

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it is very possible it is a jza70 supra, my only reason being that it is competing against a newer generation 300zx. if i remember correctly then it is most likely 89+.

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
Well it definitely has a turbo A duct... and the 300ZX came out in 90... so it's a hard call on JZA70 or Turbo A car... but I'm leaning towards Turbo A.

Also... is it just me or does it seem that when inside the other cars it's a little noisier, etc... and when they shoot from inside the Supra it's quiet... and the guy is calm like he's sitting on his couch playing a video game :)

In the GT-R you hear tons of engine... (not a bad thing ;) )
In the VR-4 you hear lots of road noise...
In the RX-7 you hear... well... everything :)
In the 300Z it's pretty quiet....
but in the Supra... it's completely calm... throw on some classical music and enjoy the ride ;)

I guess all that sound proofing has some benefits ;)

(edit: if you listen closely mid-vid to the in-Supra cam... you can hear the "over speed" chime going off)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Definitely a Turbo A. The commentator says something about the Turbo A, and it has the Turbo A wheels, too. It's very likely that comparison was done in 89. All those models would have been available in Japan then.

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
Very nice video!

I'M sure it's a turbo A

51cards: I noticed that too, it's quite as hell in the mk3 compare to the others!

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I'm pretty sure its a turbo A, not a 1jz. The steering wheel is a 90-92 unit, but you're right it could have been tested late in 1989.

Also, the rx7 is a fc, not fd (fd would have killed the supra), and I believe the supra finished 3rd -- just a c-hair behind the 300zx

What I don't get is the very beginning of the video. the gtr does 247km/hr, the vr4 does 210ish, but the supra does 178?! it doesn't show the video of the supra on the high banks, but it shows the japanese characters for the supra next to a speed.

(~150mph for the gtr vs ~110mph for the supra)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts