Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bring back old topic.

Are the front and rear bumper support designed for 5mhp only?

·
Asian Persuasion
635 Posts
i don't get what your trying to ask? but to be off topic, i am taking both of the supports off next week after i get my car back from the shop. i'll be glad to answer any of your question then.

-david

·
What You Know About That
3,654 Posts
i think he's asking if the bumper supprts are only designed to protect against accidents up to 5mph only. Jason is trying to remove some weight off of his car so he wants to remove these but there was an old thread were everyone was divided on their usefulness. Am I right Jason?

·
11,221 Posts
I guess if you don't plan on getting into any accidents, it wouldn't hurt to remove them. But me personally, I would like as many shit between me and the car coming towards me as possible :)

·
NA-T member
455 Posts
With out the rear bumber support theres not much inbetween the bumber and the gas tank. But the front I would take off.

·
Banned
455 Posts
The Front is for 5mph..Not sure about the rear

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SupraDupra_17 said:
i think he's asking if the bumper supprts are only designed to protect against accidents up to 5mph only. Jason is trying to remove some weight off of his car so he wants to remove these but there was an old thread were everyone was divided on their usefulness. Am I right Jason?
100% correct, thanks a lot :bigthumb:

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
i was rear emded at 53 mph, the rear support car bent like a noodle, looked like < after the accident. i removed my front one becaus ei had to so my bumper would fit so.. the rear didnt help much, and the front is basically useless if youre goin above 45, wont prevent much, but then again it isnt even that heavy......

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,106 Posts
Urban Customs said:
those supports are more important then you guys think. if you take them off your car will flex more. there like a front strut bar basically also.
I agree with this and still believe the car is better off with them on for this reason, along with also being safer. I know they obviously would flex and bend in an impact, but if they didn't, what else would absorb the blow? Some energy displaced in an impact through these supports is better than none at all.

·
painted cf hood advocate
409 Posts
Even if the front bumper support is only designed for a minimum of 5 mph impact, it would not make sense for me to remove it considering that it is made out of aluminum. The weight savings for a car that will be driven on the street simply does not make sense.

·
NA-T member
455 Posts
The front only weighs like 5 lbs. The rear i dont know about

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NCSUpra said:
The front only weighs like 5 lbs. The rear i dont know about
Damn that is light.

If they weight 60lbs total and there are minimal side effects, no body flex, it might be worth it.

But for 5lbs, definitely not.

I have heard people replacing the heavier rear bumper support with the front bumper support.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
The rear one is heavy, it's made out of steel. I weighed it once, but I don't recall how much it was.

·
NA-T member
455 Posts
I got another question, but its kind of off topic.

Ive pulled off all the body panel that I can; except for the rear quarter panels. I know there just tach welded on there. Does any body have a pic of just the frame, with the rear quarter panels removed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
even if the rear weighed 30 pounds, can you put a price on safety? though i've heard that it does nothing in a major impact which is scary in itself!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts