Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to take the roof lining off of the targa top to tighten the bolt back to the top? I tried over the weekend to remove the weatherstripping on the side of the targa, and it didnt want to come loose. I didnt wanna force it and tear it. How difficult is this to do? Anyone ever done it?

·
Banned
70 Posts
I'm going to undertake the same exact task.
From the manual, reading the disassembly the weather strips all shouldn't be reused. So I'm probably going to call Jeff Watson, get my parts then begin the work. But I'm also waiting for after Vegas, in case something goes wrong and I don't have a roof in the blistering sun.
It'll probably be next week.
From memory, I think there's 4 bolts, 2 on the front and 2 on the back corners. This removes the outer strip on the sides. Then there's a series of bolts on the sides to remove the inner lining.
Hope this helps. I'll doublecheck the manual later and tell you if it's right.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I've just fixed the rattling.
From looking at the rear of the targa where it inserts to the car, the two bolts that held it in place came totally off. I tried to remove the linings, but from the glue and seals, no wonder they need to be replaced.
Luckily I fastened the bolts without resorting to removing everything. What I did was flip the plastic covering so that I would be able to reach. The plastic is somewhat soft, I think if you heat it with a heat gun or blow dryer, it would be even softer, but becareful not to flip so much that you break this off. Then I slowly and carefully turn the screws manually, by hand and sharp nose pliers. Once its furthest in, I used a 12mm wrench and tighten the bolts down. Problem solved.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you are saying you just bent back the little plastic pieces that cover the bolts? I tried that, and I dont think i could have gotten any type of tool in there. Didnt budge much.

·
Banned
70 Posts
At first glance, I thought the space is definitely very limited, but just be patient. I worked on the roof upside down so the screws could sort of sit in their postions, and I slowly used a sharp head plier and turn the screws in. And then until it's pretty much in, I used the right size wrench to slowly tighten. A ratchet would definitely be easier, but it won't fit. But believe it or not I was able to take the whole part out just by flipping the plastic piece.
I was able to flip the plastic part close to leveling the plastic cover but it didn't break, and a little of the corner cracked, but it didn't break.
Remember be patient, because the 1/8 inch turns to finally get the screws in seems like forever.

W

·
0 Posts
If you (or anyone else) still needs help check this out. It's the diagram from the manual that shows all the targe parts. My freind and I fixed mine with only this diagram in about 30 min on our lunch break. Very helpful

Targa Diagram

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, i saw that diagram on mkiv.com but i couldnt figure out how to get the weatherstripping off. It didnt seem to want to come off the top. It peeled back until a certain point then it didnt come off anymore. I'll give it a shot again. Did you replace the weatherstripping?

-Aaron

J

·
0 Posts
Aaron,
The weatherstripping should only have glue/weatherstrip adhesive on the ends near the screws that hold the weatherstipping on, no along the center; the center part just fits snugg into place (but look carefully when putting in on to make sure its in place the right way). If you try to pull this off to hard, it will rip it; there is a thin metal piece inside this part of the weatherstripping that will rip through if you pull to hard. If it is done carefully, you can reuse the weatherstipping.

W

·
0 Posts
Ok, yes, I did peel the weather stripping off and yes, I did rip it, and yes, my targa does leak now, but it doesn't rattle! My only suggestion is be careful with it and have some backup handy so if it does rip your not left in the same situation I'm in. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
70 Posts
Leaking! Man that was what I was afraid of. As soon as I've fixed my problem I made sure to wash the car and check for leaks. Ever since the bolts came loose I haven't got to washing her.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i guess it makes sense to have new weatherstripping before undergoing this huh?? ;) Looks like i'll be calling Jeff..

Thanks for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts