Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I am an arms deala!
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I installed new stock toyota front and rear pads last week and I'm getting a really bad squeal from the rears. For some reason unless I really hit my brakes they make a lot of noise. Has anyone else out there had this problem with the rears. The fronts are working just fine and they make no noise at all. BTW, I've changed pads on this car before and never had a problem. I have never used the toyota pads though..... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

1993 Toyota Supra Turbo Black
Blitz SUS Intake
HKS Ti Exhaust
Custom 3.5" DP
Blitz SBC-ID
Eibach Pro's
KYB/AGX Struts
Soon to be installed.......
Blitz Technospeed Z2 Wheels in Blitz Silver
Sound Performance 3000rpm Stall Convertor
Custom Built Automatic Transmission

·
Registered
248 Posts
my toyota pads still squeeks after 7K miles of driving under light braking. i spray the calipers with water when i wash the car and it usually helps.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just installed new stock rear pads last week and I don't have a problem with the rear brakes squeeking. The service manual recommends to replace the anti-squeal shims which I did. The kit is only $11.00+ from the dealer and it comes with anti-squeal compound. Did you re-use the old shims?

·
I am an arms deala!
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did reuse the squel shims... maybe I'll give that a try and see. that may be where the problem lies. I reused them on the fronts though with no problems. Anyone out there think that if there was some air in the line that it might not allow the caliper to clamp down as hard on the rotor and that could cause the noise in the rear..

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
BPUed said:
I did reuse the squel shims... maybe I'll give that a try and see. that may be where the problem lies. I reused them on the fronts though with no problems. Anyone out there think that if there was some air in the line that it might not allow the caliper to clamp down as hard on the rotor and that could cause the noise in the rear..
Air in the line won't cause squealing IMO.

Bleeding your brakes is a good idea though.

I'd try to new squeal shim and I'd clean all of the old brake dust out of there.

·
Registered
525 Posts
And i thought i was the only one with problems...I had a very similar problem that i just had fixed. Make sure you use tons of anti squeal lub. Get some at a parts store if you have to the stuff is suppose to lessen the sound. also make 100% sure the brake pads are in the correct position. Arrows facing in the correct directions. this was my problem. i drove the car for about 750 miles and it didn't make a difference. If the squealing is that loud at lower speeds this should take care of the problem. feel free to AIM me at Goneu or email me at [email protected]

·
I am an arms deala!
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I found the problem... the noise was actually only coming from the passenger side rear. when I looked at the caliper and rotor spining with the wheel off the outside pad was banging back in forth in the caliper.... I took a closer look and found that the rotor had warped. for some reason though I was unable to feel that in my braking... I have two new rear rotors on there way.

·
Boost Bandit
787 Posts
I had similar problem...warped rotor...made a crappy noise...heaps of people told me it was wheel bearings but yeah was just warped rotor....simple $20 machining and all was quiet again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts