Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I resurfaced my front rotors and replaced pads..so im good to go in the front. The wheels are off so i grabbed hold of one of the studs and turned the axle in the rear and it's very hard to turn....It's the same on both right and left side in the "REAR". Are they supposed to be so hard to turn? theres no tranny or driveshaft on the car....My front wheels turn and spin several times with ease.

·
Supra hail dent king :(
1,155 Posts
is your e-brake on? might want to check that. and if it's been sitting for awhile w/ the e-brake the brakes tend to just stay stuck to the rotors

·
Moo
368 Posts
Huh what? Do you guys know how a diff works? If there is no driveshaft, nothing is stopping the pinion from turning. Both wheels should turn in the same direction. Sounds like the ebrake is stuck.

·
I'm rich bitch.
653 Posts
Did you remember to put those two springs on the pads. I forgot once and it locked the rear wheels.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't have any springs, shims.....in the front....Wheels turn perfect and freely with no rubbing. I never took the rear brakes off yet...just checking for locked up wheels...brakes...

·
Moo
368 Posts
Gee, I guess I do only have 95 posts. Sorry I don't have the 533 you have to clearly show I know more than you. Haha, post count != intelligence. Time for YOU to read.

With no driveshaft connected (or driveshaft connected but tranny not in gear) the pinion, ring gear, and most importantly the carrier is free to turn. If the brakes do not interfere so that both wheels turn freely and the differential is limited slip (clutch pack, torsen, etc), turning one wheel will result in turning the carrier and other wheel (in the same direction), ring gear, and pinion. Simple reason, because the LSD is doing it's job - limiting the difference in speed between the outdrives. Significant load is required to overcome the grip of the clutches inside the stock LSD (assuming it's not worn out), more so than the bearing and gear drag of the pinion, therefore when turning a wheel by hand with the driveshaft not connected, the outdrives will remain locked together and the carrier will turn.

Now, go back to your Toyota manuals and your puny little ct26.

To the original poster, it may be difficult to turn if you're not used to it, however both wheels should turn freely with both off the ground and the driveshaft disconnected. If not, check the both the disc brakes and ebrakes. Generally the rear hubs are somewhat difficult to turn by the studs and won't continue to spin like the fronts do due to the extra mass and drag of the diff and other side.

·
Registered
583 Posts
raven97990 said:
So you are telling me that a LSD diffrential will turn easier with no driveshaft on the car? DO you know anything about diffrentials? Crawl back in your hole and read some more so you can insult people more better(that is on purpose). Actually, no, I might give you some more credit then I did, depends if it's a upgraded LSD or not, because some will turn hard no matter what driveshaft condition exists...
QUOTE]

I'm sorry but you have to be the most ignorant motherfucker ever. It wouldn't of been so bad if you wouldn't of been a jackass in posting miss info. Also i know this from exp with many rwd cars, so don't go and try to spout some theories and shit.

Edit- if the lsd is a clutch pack type then with no drive shaft it will act open.

As for the original poster even with the driveshaft in and the tranny in nuetral it shudnt be that hard to turn at all.

·
Moo
368 Posts
raven97990 said:
Wow.... how many differentials have you turned? I dont care what condition the brakes are, even with no brakes, a lsd rear end will provide some resitance when turned, even with the drive shaft out.... Lets line a 100 diffrent LSD cars up so I can prove that there is resistance caused by the LSD rear end...

And to the asshole talking about going to a puny ct26... maybe you should research what turbo I am running, and the setup Im running, just because you have a sp63 anda aem doesnt mean you are special... :jerkit:

Did they teach you to be an ass in Toyota mechanic school? LSD or not there is resistance not because there is an LSD inside of the diff carrier, it is due to drag from bearings, gears, and a whole mess of other physics you'll apparently never understand. I wonder, how many differentials has your shop manager let you turn with the driveshaft disconnected or tranny not in gear?

I don't care what turbo you're running. It's obvious that you don't know shit about what you're talking about. Hell, I've forgotten more about cars than you'll ever know.

·
Registered
583 Posts
ummm ur a fuck tard, the clucth packs only engage when there is pressure to push them together. and if your a mechanic then i feel bad for your customers. Yes there is resistance but not as juch as your thinking. Put it to you this way i can easily spin it with one hand upside down.

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Yea, Im too tired to deal with bullshit, Maybe you guys should really look into a bit more, I understand your "physics" talking preload on a bearing, and I understand what you are saying about pinion, but there is a fair amount of resistance which could be construd as abnormal when turning a LSD differential, that was my point.. have fun guys.

And "fucktard" thats real smart, proves you are nothing more then a teenager, with no knowledge worth contributing.

And yes I deleated my previous posts.... Im done trying to help people, too many e-tards. Might as well fucking deleate my transmission posts too, since I dont know anything.

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
DavidTT87 said:
I'm sorry but you have to be the most ignorant motherfucker ever. It wouldn't of been so bad if you wouldn't of been a jackass in posting miss info. Also i know this from exp with many rwd cars, so don't go and try to spout some theories and shit.

Edit- if the lsd is a clutch pack type then with no drive shaft it will act open.

As for the original poster even with the driveshaft in and the tranny in nuetral it shudnt be that hard to turn at all.
Ever hear of the pot calling the kettle black? :ugh2:

A limited slip diff is a limited slip diff with or without the driveshaft. I recommend reading up and dropping the kiddy attitude. Just my 2 cents.

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
DavidTT87 said:
ummm ur a fuck tard, the clucth packs only engage when there is pressure to push them together. and if your a mechanic then i feel bad for your customers. Yes there is resistance but not as juch as your thinking. Put it to you this way i can easily spin it with one hand upside down.
The flaming is unnecessary. Might get you banned too.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can hear the pads grabbing on the rotor. It's been sitting for about a month and I bet it just needs to be driven. I just thought maybe it was supposed to be a little harder to turn because your turning the gears etc...in the differential. So, today, i'm going to pull of the back rotors and the whole assembly and then turn them and see what happens...My rear pads may be gone, i may have to check them too...and fix anything that's messed up on the caliper...relube everything.

·
i <3 supra
1,254 Posts
id open up the little bolt for bleeding the breaks to see if the caliper isn't jammed shut. same thing happend to my nissan truck and it would heat the wheel up hot enough that i couldn't touch it...... and i had to replace the front calipers

·
Registered
583 Posts
Shlongor said:
The flaming is unnecessary. Might get you banned too.
im sorry and I appologize, i just cant stand it when people do that. Just because my post count isnt as high as his doesn't mean i dont know what im talking about. People do have real life exp with stuff. and as for the lsd comment about it acting open what i ment was the tires will spin in opposite directions. with no pressure or resistance to make the clucth engage.
:(

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OH, i have a question about the front brakes. SO i disconnected the front right brake line because i had to overhaul the caliper and when i came to screw the brake line back into the caliper...the bolt has 1 hole on the side of the threads and 1 at the bottom. How do u perfect get the threads lined up with the Actual brake line. Like the hole on the threads has to line up with the hole on actual line to actually enter the caliper.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts