Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is my OEM looking reverse camera install thread since I didnt see any post of a rear camera on a supra I posted my own. this camera came from a backup camera of a RAV4 on ebay the link is below. I paid $25 plus shipping and got it with in a week and a half from hong kong its not plug and play as in you will have to fabricate some type of bracket to hold the camera in place but the spacing is correct for the opening of the license plate light without having to make mods to the rear bumper. all I did was trim plastic off the original light bracket glue n screwed the camera on the bracket and filed down some extra plastic so I can screw the original light socket in. took me about 4 hr because I like 2 do things slow.

Ebay Reverse Rear View Backup Camera RAV4

Bumper removal

tools:
10mm socket with a Universal Joint
phillips head screwdriver
flat head screwdriver

you are going to have remove the inside rear trunk panels 4 phillips head screws on the back side and 8 phillips head screws on each sides to get to the two gold 10mm bolts on each side to loosen the bumper, remove tail lights which is held down by two 10mm bolts on each side, on the corner of where ur tail lights were there is a 10mm bolt on each side remove it. there is approx 11 plastic black phillips head screws around where u remove the tail lights. remove all of them and carefully remove the retainers. remove the 3 phillips head screws holding the license plate light on the bumper. go under the car to remove a 10mm bolt on the bottom corners of the bumper, while ur still down there is gonna b a black strip with 4 phillips head screws remove them and be careful not to bend the bar use a flat head to carefully pray it loose. there is 1 more clip under the bumper right under the exhaust to fully remove the bumper. to be continued.

this is the spacing and the video feed above it is what it looks like from the camera

rear view backup back up camera

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice write up Brian. I'm definitely gonna hit u up when I get a chance to do this. What head unit do you have?

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Great write up! One of these days I'll replace my stock stereo! lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice write up Brian. I'm definitely gonna hit u up when I get a chance to do this. What head unit do you have?
It's a generic Chinese double din head unit from ebay. which im replacing for a carputer and removing the stock A/C controls. im putting in touch screen monitors and A/C controls. its all part of modernizing the supra with todays technology that we have on cars now esp the luxury cars. so ima retrofit everything I can. so there is alot more to come. im just getting started.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thats a nice clean look OP I was thinking of doing that too just went a diff route...don't mean to threadjack And bump up an older thread ... Just ran across this and just giving these Guys another option on where to mount it. If it's a problem I can take the pix down.

·
JZA80
3,114 Posts
That's an awesome spot!! Hows the view? Can you see a good amount when backing up?

·
Registered
511 Posts
the view is really good .. you just have to take your time installing it, because you never know what side is up on these lil cameras. So all i had to do was wire it up and mark the top of the camera and then installed it that way. I think its a clean spot, but on the other hand you loose the ability to pop your trunk from outside (i never did anyway, i always use the handle from inside)

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
interesting write up. I wouldnt mind trying something like this for a small investment cost. Seems to be a cool/cheap project although how much do you use it when backing up?

Do you manually need to switch to camera when backing up? Or hook it into a reverse wire to have it switch over?

·
Registered
511 Posts
i basically did it just to have it, that camera is a pyle and it only cost me 39.99 from ebay. And i do have a manual switch and i can turn it on anytime i want.

To be honest out of the 9 or 10 months i have it, i have only used it once while parking. So its basically just to say i have a rear view camera haha. the only time i use it is when we have cruises and i turn it on to see your buddies car behind you .. take some cool pix and stuff. Thats about it.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
time to install a go-pro in the hatch keyhole

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
i basically did it just to have it, that camera is a pyle and it only cost me 39.99 from ebay. And i do have a manual switch and i can turn it on anytime i want.

To be honest out of the 9 or 10 months i have it, i have only used it once while parking. So its basically just to say i have a rear view camera haha. the only time i use it is when we have cruises and i turn it on to see your buddies car behind you .. take some cool pix and stuff. Thats about it.
Nice mod with the camera! I like the idea.. Ill probably do the same just to say i have a rear view camera lol... Can you take pics of your display when you turn your rear camera on? thx!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for the write up Brian, I have an old Pioneer AVIC-N2 which has a rear view camera, but isn't as clean as yours, so I'm planning on replacing them.

1) Does that backup parking guide line a feature of the camera or your head unit?
2) Is there a reason why you installed the camera on the left side vs. the right? It would seem to be that if you installed it on the right, you would be more centered.

Thanks.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Received mine today from hongkong, nice unit for the price, will try to mount it next season by only removing one of the 2 taillight to run wire and connect backup light trigger and remove the licence plate light by the licence plate hole (JDM rear bumper)... nice find !

1 - 20 of 54 Posts