Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a NA-->TT swap and right now I'm swapping in a TT rear diff and I'm trying to install the 2nd rear cushion that is not present on the NA's and I'm having some trouble. The cushion seems to me too large for the hole. Does anyone have any tips on this install? Please don't tell me I need to drop the gas tank :rolleyes:
Thanks.

·
11,217 Posts
I had to shave the edge a little bit, and then used lithium grease I think. Other people suggested putting the mount in the freezer the day before to freeze it. Then use a torch and burn the subframe, then try to bang the mount in.

Here's how I did it a while back.

The rear diff has 2 mounts that attaches it to the car. The TT's use both mounts, while the NA only uses one from the factory (go figure). Anyways, this will just list the parts needed and a basic way I did it.

See the one that's missing?

Parts:
41651-14020 CUSHION, LIST 83.05 COST 61.92
90110-14003 BOLT, LIST 2.94 COST 2.18

I tried rigging up my own press. It was working for a while, till it literally POP; snapped the bolt in half.

I had a longer stud made, since the orig one is too short. I then had a "spacer" piece made. I put the diff mount on, the spacer over it, and then attempted to screw on the stud. I was hoping the force would slowly press the mount in. I figured once it's in, I would take it out and put the oem stud in.

It was going in a little bit, torqueing was tight as shit. Then it just POP. The opening of my diff hole got damaged.

I guess I'll try the grinding it down shit. I know it won't be as sturdy, but anything's better than nothing. I'm tired of this shit, lol.

Well I finally got my diff mount in using my ghetto "press". I had to sand down the mount a little bit. I didn't sand it down that much though. I sanded enough just to get rid of the black paint or whatever that was surrounding the mount. Then I greased it up with white lithium grease.

I used a longer machine made bolt (we had to custom make this bolt as none was available). I slightly put the mount on. I then screwed the longer stud in. Then I put this "spacer" piece that'll help with pressing the mount on. I then put on some nuts and start screwing. It slowly pressed the mount on. It helps if you use a hammer and tap it once in a while. You'll hear a "thud" as the mount is squeezed in.

I think it the total project cost around ~100. It was like 70 for the mount, and 30 to make the custom stud and spacer.

If someone wanna do this, and use my ghetto "press", I'll resell it to you to recover some money it costed me to make it.
------------

Now to fucking rant, lol. Man I got that mount in, I was all excited and shit. I went to reinstall my rear sway, happily on my way. I was torqueing that shit in when the fucking bolt snapped in half. That shit was all rusty and old. I guess it couldn't handle the torque. Now it's stuck in there and no way to get it out. I'm gonna have to find a place to try to drill a hole in there and try to get that shit out or something. Looks like my bitch is always something wrong, one after another is solved.

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was thinking about something similar w/ a couple of vise's and a metal plate....lol. I'm going to try the freezing thing tonight and I'm gonna dremel out some of the mounting hole and some of the cushion.
BTW, I feel your pain w/ the sway bar bolts. I sheared off 2 myself.

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, how much do you want for the press thing? I tried everything today and it's still sitting on my garage floor.

·
11,217 Posts
Opps... I did this mod like a year ago. I just copied and pasted what I wrote in another thread.

I'm not even sure if I still have it. $20 shipped and it's yours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts