Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this is a boring topic but maintenance is important. Anybody have suggestions on rear diff. lube. Is Synthetic OK? I don't want some obscure but expensive prolem like the folks that put redline trans fluid instead of V-160 in the tranny. What weights are you putting in the diff? I am wondering about the service life of the torsen rear diff. So far mine is still OK. Comments requested.
Barry H. 94ttsupra 6sp.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
bwill said:
OK this is a boring topic but maintenance is important. Anybody have suggestions on rear diff. lube. Is Synthetic OK? I don't want some obscure but expensive prolem like the folks that put redline trans fluid instead of V-160 in the tranny. What weights are you putting in the diff? I am wondering about the service life of the torsen rear diff. So far mine is still OK. Comments requested.
Barry H. 94ttsupra 6sp.
The book calls for GL-4 SAE 90.

I'm still trying to find a synthetic GL-4 SAE 90. Every synthetic I've found is 75w90 or 80w90 (a little thinner when cold, right?). I blew my old differential with Redline 75w90 on a hard 1-2 shift with wheel hop when the diff was cold (motor was warm but not the diff). I haven't figured out what fluid to put in the new diff now that it's broken in... I don't know if the Redline contributed to the old diff failing or not (it probably didn't -- it's a great fluid from what I hear), but I wish they would make a real SAE 90 synthetic.

Has anybody investigated Redline's "shockproof" line of fluids?

Andi

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:eek:
Hey Andi,
Sorry to hear you blew your diff! That leads me to the question how many $$$ does a rebuild set you back. Would give me an idea for when I decide to do it. Yeah, I want to be very cautious as to what I put in the diff. for lube. Would love to put something syn in it but don't want to screw it up. Maybe someone else out there will respond. I may go toss out the question at the mkiv list and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up. Yeah the 75w is lighter.
Barry 94ttsupra 6sp.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
I just sent the same question to the mkiv list about an hour ago. We'll see what the gurus say.

A new diff costs about $2500 I think. Mine's a 98 so it as under warranty. :cool:

Andi

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Andi said:
I just sent the same question to the mkiv list about an hour ago. We'll see what the gurus say.

A new diff costs about $2500 I think. Mine's a 98 so it as under warranty. :cool:

Andi
I still have my busted differential in the garage, the plan being to someday rebuild it with the TRD LSD, and maybe 3.27 gears.

When I was pricing out my options after I killed my diff, Jeff Watson told me he could sell me a complete, new diff for ~$1700, list was about $2600.

The TRD LSD is $880, the stock Torsen is ~$2300, stock 3.13 ring/pinion were $600, while the JDM 3.27 ring/pinion were $400.

I don't know where you go to find the various shims, bearings etc.

I ended up finding a used differential from a salvage yard for $800, 39k miles on it. I found another for $550 but when they pulled it off the shelf the cover and one of the stub axles were missing.

I bought the $800 one, and spent about 4 hours swapping it in. Don't do this if you don't have a tranny jack:).

(I was using the same Redline fluid as Andi)

S

·
0 Posts
i called Toyota and they told me 75W90 oil for the 6 speed tranny and the differential. You just have to put the LSD additive to prevent it from foaming. I just changed both differential and tranny to Mobil 1 75W90 Tri Synthetic gear lube. Better shifting and performance.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
SupramanTT said:
i called Toyota and they told me 75W90 oil for the 6 speed tranny and the differential. You just have to put the LSD additive to prevent it from foaming. I just changed both differential and tranny to Mobil 1 75W90 Tri Synthetic gear lube. Better shifting and performance.
Your Toyota parts guy is an incompetent boob. Wrong on every single count; that takes talent.

The 6-speed Getrag transmission requires a special ATF that only Toyota sells, it's called the V160 transmission fluid. Lots of people that used the Redline D4 ATF had shfit centering problems because a bushing inside the transmission swells from a chemical imcompatibility. Trust me, only use the Toyota V160 fluid in your Getrag 6-speed.

Our differential is a Torsen gear-type limited slip differential, not a conventional clutch-type differential. This means that you should *NOT* use a limited slip additive or a gear oil made for limited slip differentials. According to the service manual, you are supposed to use a simple SAE 90 weight GL-4 gear lube.

Regards,
Andi

S

·
0 Posts
Im only tellin you what the 3 dealers i called told me. I didnt trust their bitchasses so i called 3 dealers. By the way i have a 94 Toyota Twin Turbo 6 speed Supra, if that matters.

Ron Goode Toyota
1825 Park Alameda
510-522-6400

HanLess Hiltop Toyota
3255 Auto Plaza Richmond
510-243-2020

Toyota Berkely
2400 Shattuck Av. Berkely
510-845-2530
www.toyotaberkely.com

All 3 said the same. Ron Goode Toyota even got mad at me when i asked him if he was sure that it was 75W30 in tranny and diff. I dont know but he also said i needed the LSD additive. I lost my owners manual so thats why i was taking their word. I guess im gonna have to change my fluid again. For some reason the tranny shifts a whole lot smoother and positive shifts.

S

·
0 Posts
Fuckin dealers. What will happen if i run 75W90 in my tranny and diff? Will something break?

T

·
0 Posts
Has anyone tried amsoil in their diff. yet?? I am a dealer for them and was wondering on how it performs in the mkiv's. DSM guys like it a lot, and it is much more affordable.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
SupramanTT said:
Fuckin dealers. What will happen if i run 75W90 in my tranny and diff? Will something break?
Put the correct fluids in immediately and hope for the best. Really the worst that's happened to people by using the wrong fluid (Redline D4 ATF) is that the shifter didn't center anymore when cold...

Andi

·
0 Posts
Royal

The Royal Purple Diff fluid is the shit. That's what i run in my diff. I've heard from many people and since they have had nothing but good experiences from it..i wen't ahead and tried it. Been happy ever since.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Supramantt;
You have to watch the dealers. The first time I went to go have tranny fluid changed out, the service guy was talking about putting in something other than V-160 and I am sure it was the standard crap. It was only because I said the specs are V-160 trans fluid and he gave me a blank stare. He didn't know. The parts people said "Helllll, we ain't ever ordered any of that stuff". Makes me wonder where Supra owners in my city get their tranny fluid or worse that they are running the wrong stuff.
My advice is: Buy the factory service manuals for your car! It is two manuals, one is engine (about 65$) and the other is everthing else, chassis/body electrical (about $109, ouch!). Me, I did that because my mechanic skills are limited and rusty (working on them). Two having the "good books" for you to refer to and for your mechanics to refer to is cheap insurance and in my opinon can save you money. Protect yourself against the ignorance of others.
BTW the quote I got this week on V-160 was $45 a liter. Can anyone tell me what Jay Marks or some place else is charging?If it is cheaper someplace else after shipping charges I will buy it. The Royal Purple diff stuff sounds interesting but I think I will let those running it put another 30 or 40K miles on the diff. first. Hope it is great stuff.
Barry 94supratt 6sp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts