Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I plan to install a V160 in my mkiii but it would be a waste unless you can get a leaner rear diff in the mkIII 3.20 can you get these gears for the mkIII ? I think the leanest one is 3.60 or 3.70's ?

or is installing a replacment modified mkiv diff 3.20 for my current mkIII 4.30 LSD an option any sugestions would be appreciated. I just want more top end because with my R154 i think my math says that i will hit redline 138mph @ 7500 rpm in 5th gear and i was thinking of redoing the diff and tranny with the v160.

I do fine at the drag strip but its sad when i cant beat the crap out of those hondas on the freeway but dont want to run the engine in the red on the free way long.
Lol pull him off the side of the road and ask him to drag lol.

sorry this avatar says it all.

· Not so boring anymore
7,936 Posts
rev it high enough and the 3.73 is ok, Jeff Lange says there is a 8" 3.4x that you can get...

Im not sure what it would take to put a mkiv diff in the car, lots of fab though..

· Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
17,317 Posts
How come you don't wanna rev your engine high on the freeway? 1J likes that shit and says' HEY bitch, gimme more!'

Why do you have to worry about that to pick on some hondas anyway? You could always... I dunno... shift up? unless you're in 5th gear in the redline. But then you're going too fast and if you haven't beat the honda by then, you should probably quit. :sadance:

· Registered
633 Posts
OneJoeZee said:
How come you don't wanna rev your engine high on the freeway? 1J likes that shit and says' HEY bitch, gimme more!'

Why do you have to worry about that to pick on some hondas anyway? You could always... I dunno... shift up? unless you're in 5th gear in the redline. But then you're going too fast and if you haven't beat the honda by then, you should probably quit. :sadance:
LOL

I have 3.73s so I guess Im good.

420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@ 7500 rpm with 4.30 lsd your car maxed @ about ~140mph but running your car in redline zone down the freeway for a mile is not nice on the engine. im sure with a sixer though i can beat him in 5th easy still but i wanna make him disapear all together with out having to make the 1jz sweat it. So with the sixer id like to do it like iceskating not just beat him but do it with good presentation too like it was no work which it isnt lol this guy had a prelude with type R in it he can cruze it down the freeway 120 with out pegging the rev neadle like i have to.

With the 6 speed you can probley hit the same top end as the mkiv around 200mph + with 6th @ 7500 and have a good off the line.

The 3.73's suck for the 1JZ especially off the line and on 1/4 mile.

A mild diff for the R154 with 1JZ should be optimum drivability with a 4.10 rear end like the jza70 came with.

4.30 LSD is the best rear for the 1/4 out there both wheels can cherp 1-3 no problem and by the time you max 5th the 1/4 is way over in a 12-13 sec score.

· Not so boring anymore
7,936 Posts
with a 4.30 you got 170 in 5th at 7500 rpms?

yea 3.73s do suck..

· going broke fast
2,469 Posts
you wouldn't want a 3.20 with a v160 anyways.that 3.40 would probably be good seeing the 1j has a different powerband then the 2j.its in a heavier car too,maybe a 3.55 would be good with some taller tire's

· I'll nevAr go single!
1,068 Posts
PbXAssassinX1524 said:
You should be at ~170MPH at 7500RPM with an R154 and a 4.30 diff. Not 140, which is the case for me with the 7M's ~6500 stock rev limit.

The other night, well, my speedo is off I know that, but I hit 4K at 120 in 5th. I was definatley going over 100, not sure how much the speedo is off though, but I had plenty more room to go.

Thats R154 with NA 4.30 LSD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.