Supra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man o man do I wish the search function was working!

Ok I just recently purchased Trev's 87 1jz Supra and it is in amazing condition. Flash forward to today when I found my first chance to work on the car.

Heres whats going on: It started with mostly right turns only, and low speed I would get a metallic click click click etc... until i straightend out. The sound comes from the rear of the vehicle (sounds like driver side). Now it happens while going straight and moderate speed (40mph).

I made sure to check the lug nuts on the rear, but thats about as far as I got as I need to get to bed soon. Any idears? My first though was cv joint in the rear, but i've never had a cv joint on an IRS go bad on me before (had a few FWD cv joints crap out on me), so I'm not too sure.
Thanks
Tyler

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
I would check that nothing is rubbing anywhere, and that all the bolts are tight (axle, driveshaft, struts, etc.) ;). You may also want to check the fluid level of the diff, and if you have an LSD diff, you may want to replace the fluid & friction modifier. I had a non-LSD make similar noises (not very loud tho') - I think the spider gears were bad. When we pulled the diff, it made horrible noises from the spiders, like they were out of aligment or something.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts