Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:sadance:

my car creaks like an old woman! It's coming from somewhere in the rear suspension. It's gotten so bad that it'll creak and groan for a while even after I get out of the car and walk away! I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue like this? Thanks! :hay:

Notes:

215k miles on 1986.5 chassis;
original rear bushings;
ST sway bars;
Koni Sport shocks and Intrax springs

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, this might help someone else:
I found that my rear sway bar was rubbing on the frame. I wonder if it's on wrong? Hmm. It's the cause of the creaking.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
aww i thought i was going to be able to answer the problem... the TWO times i've run into extreme creaking in the rear of the car were because of a cracked subframe. Yep, I just fixed it again yesterday.

·
Registered
596 Posts
^^ i installed my tanabe sway bars upside down in the rear at first, and i set it back down and everytime i hit a bump it would smack it.. but i dont see how that would cause it to creak even after your done driving..

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a_zepeda9236 said:
^^ i installed my tanabe sway bars upside down in the rear at first, and i set it back down and everytime i hit a bump it would smack it.. but i dont see how that would cause it to creak even after your done driving..
Well.... I installed it this way a YEAR and 12,000 miles ago! When I looked under there I saw that the sway bar had actually bashed in part of one of the subframe mounting donut casings and even took a little chunk off of the bottom of the upper control arm. Terrible!!!!

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
assuming that you installed it correctly, did you put some grease in there? when ive dont front bars on other cars if you didnt lube it would squeak like a bitch all the time

<l><l>

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
snake eyes said:
assuming that you installed it correctly, did you put some grease in there? when ive dont front bars on other cars if you didnt lube it would squeak like a bitch all the time

<l><l>
I greased those up with special order McMaster-Carr grease like there's no tomorrow. The creaking was coming from hardcore heavy-weight metal on metal contact.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
im gonna also guess installed upside down, if not do like scc did on the silvia and put some oring- like material so it doesnt rub i guess

<l><l>

·
Registered
379 Posts
mine would always squeek. I found out that it was some bushing in the rear right a little foward of the wheel. I sprayed some wd40 on it and it was good for 2 weeks. Later it came back and I sprayed it again and it was all good. Maybe it will come back though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts