Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard will it be to put a Ford 9" in a Supra?????
Keeping the Independent rear suspension...

Jose

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
AXA said:
How hard will it be to put a Ford 9" in a Supra?????
Keeping the Independent rear suspension...

Jose
Impossible, since it is a solid axle.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Without being mean, if you don't know what a "live", or "solid" axle is then there is little point in going much further with this.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Spanish we have another name for solid axel, if you can give me the basics of what a solid axel is I can understand which is which.
Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'll try to help since I was kind of a dick to you over at NEMKIV.com ( I am hondaracerxmofo over there)

A Ford 9" rear end is essentially a one piece unit. It is a differential combined with a solid axle. Our Supras have a differential with half shafts coming out of each side of it thus the "independant" rear suspension.

"Live axle" also known as "solid axle" rear ends hang from the car by the suspension.. it moves as a whole unit.. when going over uneven road one wheel goes up while the other goes down.

Independant rear suspensions have the differential fixed in place and the half shafts coming out of it to the wheels can move independantly of each other... when going over uneven road one wheel can go up and the other doesn't necessarily have to move at all .. it is "independant" of the other wheel and not linked like a live axle.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
AXA said:
Thanks for the info hondaracerxmofo.. Can you check out this page for me because they toll me that it will be possible to do this.
http://www.hotrodsusa.com/buynow/manufactures/store2/suspens/rearend.htm
Thank
Jose
I have to apologize myself, I had no idea anyone made something like that.

But, at ~$5k I don't know why it would be worth doing, since the stock Supra rear end does not seem to break, and when it does it's the Torsen LSD, which can be upgraded to a clutch type (TRD, Kazz) for far less that the cost of the 9" IRS plus fabrication work to install it.

And I doubt it would retain the suspension geometry that works so well for the stock Toyota IRS.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Jose... I looked at that page and I have to tell you I am not the one to ask about that stuff. You are talking about doing mods to your car that I know next to nothing about.

*edit* I didn't look closely enough at the page the first time.. there is no picture of the kit you mentioned but at the bottom sure enough it says "New 9" Ford IRS is a complete assembly from crossmember to gear lube. It comes complete and ready to install in any daily driver, street rod, truck or all out show car."

That would be kinda cool, but like Chip said, is it really necessary?? It seems to make sense to just use the stock differential if you are going to stay with independant rear suspension. Sound Performance and SW have both run in the 9's with the stock rear end and I believe when the MVP Motorsports car ran in the 8's they were on the stock rear end too. Just replace the differential when it craps out.. probably a cheaper alternative. Then again, I don't know what you have planned.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thing is I want to put a G-Force Tranny in my car for weekends action, I all ready have the tranny from a friend of mine and all the parts to make it work, I don't think the stock rear end will hold after a few very hard take off in the 1/4 mile.
Jose
To put The G-Force in side the Supra it not as hard as people think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts