Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SP61GT Powered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How strong are the mkiv rear ends, and what are these 800 to 1000hp+ guys running?
The reason i ask is because i trashed mine on my is300 and i would like to get one off a supra or a lexus gs400/430 because they are alot stronger and the gearing is better.

I would have posted a WTB ad but for some reason i guesse i dont have permission to post under that section. maybe becuase im still a newbie as far as how many post i have made. either way if any one knows where i could get one please PM me
thanks
-Arron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
If you trashed your is300 rear, why not just upgrade to a TRD unit? the auto TRD unit will fit in there and it will be VERY strong. That is what most high hp guys are running. Many of them are still on the stock rear as well. The 6 speed rear end is hard to come by and its a bit stronger than the auto rear. The auto rear has 3.76 gearing, 6 speed rear has 3.13 gearing, and the N/A rear has 4.27 gearing. Pick and choose between them. If you go for the 6 speed rear, you will need the driver side axle and the rear half of the driveshaft (different for six speeds). If you go with the auto rear (my recommenddaion for you) It will bolt right up and be great :) Good luck hope this helped.

-Mike
 

·
SP61GT Powered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info! when you say the trd unit arnt you talking about the lsd? i need the gearing ect. I broke the acctual gearing inside the differental housing.
 

·
SP61GT Powered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure. I took it to lexus and there were going to warranty it out for me (supprisingly) until one of the guys from the dealership remembered seeing my car at the local track. Any ways lexus told me i destroyed one of the gears. The rear end had lots of play in it. i could grab the shaft and turn it about half a turn! so now im looking for a good rear end and a good lsd like kazz of trd.
 

·
SP61GT Powered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any idea on where i could get a rear end? I know trd make an lsd disc just like kazz but do they make the acctual rear end (gearing)?
 

·
SP61GT Powered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im really suprised no one makes after market gearing for the supra or lexus cars. What about differnet gear ratios. Some people want to auto cross so a higher gear would be good for them and some like top end so a lower gear would be better for them as well.
I also have a 93 mazda rx7 and you can get anywhere from 3.90 all the way up to a 4.77. isnt there something like this for our cars? I did soem searching but no luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
boosted-bird said:
not sure. I took it to lexus and there were going to warranty it out for me (supprisingly) until one of the guys from the dealership remembered seeing my car at the local track.
I'd be out for blood...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,838 Posts
well if you can twist the drive line that much i'd say its probably the ring gear or pinion. would a TT or GS rear end fit in a IS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
upgrade to a TRD LSD.. You'll love it and will hold a great amount of power.. for the differential itself it's about 800-1000 depending where you buy it from. You'll also have to by the side gears as well.. (i think that's what it's call) and machine press it in..
 

·
EchoDeDupra
Joined
·
4,122 Posts
Does going from the stock TT lsd to the TRD one change the gear ratio any?

(Sorry if this is a newb question... I was discussing the whole "final drive ratio" with my honda friend the other day. He was telling me that he can get any gear for his car made for like $200 :dunno: )
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Supradedupra said:
Does going from the stock TT lsd to the TRD one change the gear ratio any?

(Sorry if this is a newb question... I was discussing the whole "final drive ratio" with my honda friend the other day. He was telling me that he can get any gear for his car made for like $200 :dunno: )
No change the LSD does not change the gear ratio on the car.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
boosted-bird said:
How strong are the mkiv rear ends, and what are these 800 to 1000hp+ guys running?
The reason i ask is because i trashed mine on my is300 and i would like to get one off a supra or a lexus gs400/430 because they are alot stronger and the gearing is better.

I would have posted a WTB ad but for some reason i guesse i dont have permission to post under that section. maybe becuase im still a newbie as far as how many post i have made. either way if any one knows where i could get one please PM me
thanks
-Arron

Typically the stock rear is good for anything you throw at it. Most failures occur from wheel hop, or a really hard launch on slicks. Wheel hop being the most seen problem.

Most people that do upgrade go towards the TRD rear due to cost, and avaliblity. Some of the other rears like Kaazz are hard to come by but are quality units and cost $$$.

I would go TRD if I was in your shoe's right now, I've been there in the past... and really like the TRD.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
MarcSMT said:
Anyone ever swapped a solid rear end onto the Supra?

Vinny Ten used a solid rear in his drag supra. Looked to be an interesting setup, but so many have had a lot of success with the independent rear. That the cost would far out weight the actual performance difference. just my 2 cents..


darknezz_ghost said:
upgrade to a TRD LSD.. You'll love it and will hold a great amount of power.. for the differential itself it's about 800-1000 depending where you buy it from. You'll also have to by the side gears as well.. (i think that's what it's call) and machine press it in..

Ring and pinion is what there called. If you go TRD, and have broken yours. More than likey the ring is gone, alot of times the pinion is okay.

Side gears?, probably refering to the Ring. There are also Diff bearings you'll need to have pressed on the new LSD.

boosted-bird said:
im really suprised no one makes after market gearing for the supra or lexus cars. What about differnet gear ratios. Some people want to auto cross so a higher gear would be good for them and some like top end so a lower gear would be better for them as well.
I also have a 93 mazda rx7 and you can get anywhere from 3.90 all the way up to a 4.77. isnt there something like this for our cars? I did soem searching but no luck
The Dogbox PHR offer's would allow for a change in gear ratio's through the transmission. Only rings/pinions I know of to swap to are US 6spd, US auto, JAP 6spd, and JAP Auto ratios... The JAP 6spd tranny in the later years is different as well from the US spec.

But to upgrade completely
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top