Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How exactly do you take these rear struts off? it seems as if it's welded on to the car...and also, where would you get new struts? I have a 94 TT...please let me know...thanks!

·
stop playin wit mah name
1,931 Posts
There are 2 bolts on either side of the hatch and 2 nuts on each side where the strut end connects to the body. You'll need to either remove that panel or gently pry it open to get a ratchet in there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow so we have to take those panels off :( damn...all bad...thanks anyways guys...and thank you for the pricings :)

·
Blood for Blood
8,324 Posts
use the search button most people are bending the rod and say it works great again... for many years...

I have no had to do this... mine are perfect

·
Banned
725 Posts
How to do, first take the rear seats out, then take the side trunk plastic panels and rear side speaker panels out, then the rear side window panels out, that should give you access to that mounting area. make sure you dont pull too hard on the panels which means, there a bolt there somewhere. this job should take 2~3 hrs if you know your way around the car or 3~5 hrs if your new at it.... it a bitch, I know...

·
Banned
2,624 Posts
Just bend the damn things and call it a day. What is the worst that can happen? You have to replace them anyway?

·
Blood for Blood
8,324 Posts
^ +2....

I have seen a bunch of threads of guys saying they did this to fix them and it has worked for years... mine are perfect but I would at least try this before buying new ones if I needed it.

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Just bend the damn things and call it a day. What is the worst that can happen? You have to replace them anyway?
Been doing this since the early 2000's. Never had to bend or replace another one again. Bend it and fogetaboutit!

Grab and push.... put some muscle into it.

Tada......

·
Registered
517 Posts
i've been working with a company that develops these things to get them to make ones for our cars. they develop all the hatch shocks sold at liftsupportsdepot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkcXHs35kvc

that was a video I made for their developer, AVM industries. I've had those prototypes on the car for a month now and have had no problems with them at all after sorting out the initial issues with them regarding their fitment. I don't know when they'll be out on the market, but I'll let you all know. their hatch shocks for other models typically go for about $110-120 a set from my observation, so hopefully the ones for our cars will go for about the same price range.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,588 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
This thread is old but I just thought I'd add my MacGyver method for anyone interested... I replaced mine yesterday. I bought struts for a MKIII and reused both the top and bottom mounting brackets from the OEM struts. Total cost was under $50.

You probably wouldn't be able to do it without the right tools and equipment... but I cut off the brackets and ground them down to be flat, drilled out a hole for the new strut, and used a nut with locktite to secure the new strut. On the other end I used a dremel to release the ball from the OEM socket, then pressed it into the end of the new strut.

Buying new ones from Toyota would be the easiest route but this method wasn't very difficult either. I just wanted to make something that would work so I could knock it out and move on.

·
Actual member since 2001.
2,596 Posts
KAW, if you have pics it would could help some of us!

·
Actual member since 2001.
2,596 Posts
Might wanna get sum1 to hold that up for you don't wanna hear that your supra killed you on the 10:00 clock news lol
Haha very true. That freakn hatch is HEAVY!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts