Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Moved to the dark side
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It's not gone, but it's not fresh either. So I was planning on replacing it. My question: Do I just cut it open en pry it out with a screwdriver? I remember the front seal had some pointer as "start here with a sharp screwdriver" but the rear seal doesn't.. Any pointers? I don't have the workshop manual here, a friend of mine borrowed it from me.

·
Pays Cash, No Questions
2,308 Posts
Just pry it out - be sure that you press the new one in FLATLY, and not try to squeeze it in sideways... it needs to go in flush.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You need to unbolt the seal holder. There are a couple of bolts that go into the bottom of it too through the oil pan so you will need to loosen/remove the oil pan. You then can place it upside down between a couple of blocks of wood and just tap it out with a screwdriver...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I wouldn't touch the oil pan if any way possible unless the engine is out of the car. If you try to lower the pan you're going to have to remove it to clean and reseal. And getting the pan off to do that is a bitch. Just pry it out being careful not to nick the surfaces.

·
Moved to the dark side
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We just put a screwdriver in and it flipped out almost immediately.

·
Registered
558 Posts
though 99% of the time it is certainly the rear main that is leaking... it is still a good idea to pull the pan and re seal it...unless that is you do not have the motor out...if the motor is out, take the time to do the job right...

just my 02...

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts