Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share some pics of a recent rear seat delete that I fabricated.
I knew I wanted the rear seat out; its useless, it has significant weight, and it impedes the front seats from reclining when in my preferred driving seat position (I've got long legs). I tried running with the rear seat removed, but it was very unsightly and it let in a lot of road/exhaust noise.

I had some defined goals with this particular area of the car and I believe I met all of them with this little set up.
1. My finished product retains the sound deadening characteristic of the OEM seat
2. Its very light weight (<10lbs)
3. It looks clean IMO.
4. I retained a seat 'shape,' the lower half of which serves as a useful shelf.

Using some wood, auto carpet, 3m glue and a whole bunch of staples I ended up with this:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Put a couple of 12" subs there :D

·
Registered
596 Posts
clean install. good job

how did you attach it to the car? is it wedged in there?

do you get any rattling from it?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The backrest is bolted down using stock mounting points. The seat floor is held down by the backrest. No rattling, I used rubber washers and cut the pieces to fit snugly. That coupled with the carpet keeps it tight and rattle free.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Looks comfortable :p

·
Registered
347 Posts
looks Neat

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont have the numbers in front of me but both pieces are roughly 42" by 12,13". The backrest is actually hexagonal in shape. If you look carefully at the rear speaker enclosures they widen towards the middle and then taper off towards the ends.

·
Very Senior Member
10,040 Posts
Looks good. I have not taken out the back, but I occasionally remove the seat and put in a platform I made (my dog can ride on it - she doesn't like the seats!).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
thanks for the kind words guys. I could do $100 shipped if you wanted me to build you one.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You know what would make that even more awesome.... a handfull of loops to use as tie-down locations. 6 (2 on each side and 2 in the center) would keep luggage, helmets, ect. in place awesome!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know what would make that even more awesome.... a handfull of loops to use as tie-down locations. 6 (2 on each side and 2 in the center) would keep luggage, helmets, ect. in place awesome!
That would be easy enough to add, only requiring an attachment piece to the straps that could be bolted to 1/4" wood.
I'm currently looking for a nylon net i can attach to the back rest to hold items in place.

Something like this, but would run the entire length of the back rest and about 1/2 of the height.

·
Yup.
684 Posts
Super, this might be a project I tackle in the upcoming months. Subscribed!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Great work, I like the netting idea even more than my bright idea :D

1 - 20 of 78 Posts