Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is in the shop getting the big dent taken out my tooper put in... at any rate we are going to do a color swap. he said something about pulling the side glass out to install the new 1/4 pannel, also said it had something to do painting.

At any rate just wondering how easy those are to brake? I mean would it be better to take achange on the 1/4 install and paint with the window in or with it out?

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
Mine is getting taken out for the paint. But....my doors and almost all panels are coming off too. I guess it depends on how experienced your paint guy is, or how well he knows the supra. Regardless, he should be able to get the quarter glass out without breaking it.

·
HKS Twins
432 Posts
Removinb the q glass out shouldnt be a problem for a experienced shop. Removing glass is one of the things that seperated the big boys from the hackers. It also depends on how much the customers is willing to pay. 3m makes a fine product that allows you to fold trim up so sanding and painting can be made alittle easier, unfortunatly the supra q glass moulding is quite stiff and it is smarter to remove the glass. It is a pain in the ass because the interior trim must be removed to get teh 8m bolts behind it, once that is done nothing but a glass cutter should be used, if used correctly the glass wont break unless there is a chip somewhere on it 99% of the time they wont have a problem. Its cake for me now and i do it reguardless on any supra i work on. Removing allows the shop easier acces to tite spots and the color sanding portion of it will be a lot cleaner not to mention clean up. Do it right have it removed no matter how much the cost is

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used that 3m tape on the last car when he painted it. I just was not sure on the side class. i know on some cars they say the brake easy... ( i think is was the 93 back mustangs or probes.... hell i dont know)

thanks for the replys

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just removed mine myself.. shouldn't be a problem although you have to take a quarter of the interior out to get to it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Shawn
Just pull them. If you break one I have the glass for both sides. and I am about 25 min from you! I would like to head up and see your car. Will you be around This weekend? Later.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i should be. however the wife is ready to pop so unless the kid wants out real bad ill be around. ill see how long they shop will is going to be open on sat.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
KERR said:
yea i should be. however the wife is ready to pop so unless the kid wants out real bad ill be around. ill see how long they shop will is going to be open on sat.

Daddy, Daddy!

:D

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea no joke, the told her 3 weeks ago any time. guess ill get to see the true top speed of the G! we had to 135 the other night. Man if the supra was only finished the 50 miles to the hospial would not be a big deal!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts