Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Custom Rear Speaker Bracket ... (pics)

Alrighty. So TTSpoolin was bummed that after taking out his back seats (4 bolts) and removing the rear quarter panel plastic coverings (lotsa screws) the Diamond Audios he purchased to put in the rear didn't fit in the stock speaker box. Just a couple of weeks ago we put boston's in the front speaker boxes and they fit perfectly (and sound delicious) so we hoped it would be just as easy for the back and lo and behold, it wasn't. After removing the OEM rear speaker box (boxes), we realized that the stock speakers were a LOT more shallow than the DAs. So we scrapped the boxes (well, minus the harnesses).

So I got a drills, a jigsaw, some board, a couple of journeymans, and a nice 'L' bracket and went to work.

Let me know what you think.

This was the third design that I went through working in the car... the first two designs didn't take into consideration that we'd need a supporting bracket and that the way the supra's welded in the rear would be shaped so funny.

There's the speaker mount and the bracket for lower speaker support. I used two of the four stock speaker box mount locations. Yes, I'm half Korean. Yes, I always smile like an idiot for pictures.

I put a hole in a supra!! I also started with an 'L' bracket and bent it to the shape you see here for lower support.

It clears the seat belt tensioner by miles.

Speaker in.

¼ panel back on.

:bigthumb:

Some things to note for folks thinking about doing this...

The two sides of the car are NOT shaped the same behind the quater panels. If you can get it to fit the passenger side though, it'll fit the driver's side.

Watch out for the windshield wiper fluid hoses. (Don't put a screw through one).

Take the stock harnesses off of the stock speaker boxes with a flat tip screw driver. They wiggle right out for reuse.

You have to remove the targa clips to remove the panel. They have a strange cover that unclips and slides up and out of the way but stays connected on them. (Shoulda taken pics of that).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I suggest dampening it for proper midbass... by seperating the front and rear waves you create an IB which will sound ALOT better. elemental designs is having a sale on their Edead line worth taking a look.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it just me or do the 97+ models come with actual metal brackets for the rear speakers? I've been looking around and i'm seeing these now so I'm wondering if they can't be ordered and I just spent a lot of time reinventing the wheel... anyone know? :confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts