Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know our rear spoilers look bad azz.. but how useful is it? Anyone know how many lbs of downforce the spoiler applies at a moderate speed of 120-130mph??

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, thats what i wanted to know.

·
3,148 Posts
I think they the downforce would be much higher at 135mph. If I am not mistaken downforce goes up exponetially with speed.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
527 Posts
Since this dosn't mean much to people like me, to put it in perspective, how much downforce do some of the aftermarket wings give, like the Veilside and RMM?

Thanks

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
downforce does go up exponetially, i believe at 135 the downforce would be around 160lbs

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
it is going to be quite amusing bringing back a thread so old, but i came across it from some photography forum where an idiot was arguing that the supra wing was cosmetic only and the car did not travel fast enough to produce any sort of downforce, ect ect.

edit on what i said earlier, as i said it slightly wrong, i meant to say that the hp required to over come the drag on a vehicle goes up with a cube of the vehicles speed.

·
3,148 Posts
The interesting thing, is I doubt you will find numbers for the RMM or Veilside wings. And even if they are higher than the stock wing, you will effect the balance of the car without adding more front downforce.

Of course I guess if you lower your car, you have added more front downforce, so you need to change your rear wing. :)

Don't you know we drive the Toyota engineers crazy when we start messing with things. :)

Later, Steve

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
If I recall correctly, when SW was running the Texas Mile a year or two ago he originally had the TRD/RMM wing on back but the car felt unstable, so when they switched to the stock wing they reported much better high speed stability. Of course, as Steve points out above, the overall balance of the car comes into play so as far as we know this conclusion only applies to SW's setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts