Supra Forums banner

Rear Strut Brace?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mike Hughes 
G
#1 ·
Hi All... I want to get a rear strut brace for my Supra before I do a major stereo install back there (since the strut brace will undoubtedly affect the area where I want to do the install.)

So, I've got a number of q's.

1) Does the strut brace need any free space around it? Will it vibrate/move much?

2) What's the best one to get?

3) Where's the best place to order one from?

Any answers/ideas/experiences are welcome.

Thanks!

G
#3 ·
Huh, thanks for the tip. I honestly haven't looked in there yet... right now there's an unbelievably lame open-air subwoofer installation covering that spot. I'll have to remove the whole assembly to get a good look.

But, that's what I'm planning on anyway. :D

Cool then, it should save me a few $$, which I *know* I can spend elsewhere...

G
#5 · (Edited)
Eron said:
Hi All... I want to get a rear strut brace for my Supra before I do a major stereo install back there (since the strut brace will undoubtedly affect the area where I want to do the install.)

So, I've got a number of q's.

1) Does the strut brace need any free space around it? Will it vibrate/move much?

2) What's the best one to get?

3) Where's the best place to order one from?

Any answers/ideas/experiences are welcome.

Thanks!
I have both the do-luck floor strut and the cusco carbon fiber rear strut installed on the 98tt. If you want stiffness with targa off, go with the floor strut. I think the rear strut braces are not much help since the oem rear struts have two pretty thick plates bolted to the chassis. However, the cusco carbon rear strut looks pretty cool, imho. Give Dusty of www.mvpmotorsports.com a call, he is a trustworthy supplier of aftermarket supra parts...;) ;) hope this helps....:D

regards,

------------------
eddie c.
98tt bpu:cool:

#6 ·
I have the cusco in the rear of mine. I took out the nasty stock sub and cut out that section of body sheet metal that was an excellent strut brace from the factory so I could put my flush mount custom box in that was just enough air space for a single 10". The chassis feels the same since I added the cusco when I cut out the piece.

#7 ·
Targa flex.

I think (that's the key word here) most of the "flex" that you can feel with the targa off is torsional along the axis of the car from front to back... in other words the front and back twist in opposite directions of each other (the front will stay put while the entire rear end starts rotating clockwise and counterclockwise); the only thing that would really help this is the Do-Luck bar, which I've heard good and bad things about anyway.

That's why the hard roof helps so much; it unifies the front and rear.

A carbon fiber bar does look cool though, and might offer some help in cornering...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.