Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how is it done?

I'm talking about the 6 bushings which the rear subframe mounting bolts pass through. Mine are in pretty rough shape and I'm replacing them after I sandblast and paint the rear subframe. My first guess is to take fire to them, but is there an easier way?

adam

·
Registered
209 Posts
My old ones was so rusty and I pounded them out quite easy.

Wheels, calipers, struts, handbrake wire, exhaust, DS, remove.
(Maybe something else but you will spot that easy)

Put a jack under the diff and remove all the bolts, then lower the whole rear package down and you can easily slide it all out behind the car.

Regrett that I didnt change to pollybushings when I had it all out.

suprafredde

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh, the subframe is already out, and the bushings are pretty rusty, along with the rest of the subframe. No cracking that I can see yet, but i guess I won't know that for sure until I mag-particle the whole thing. As for bushings, I'm just gonna do the stock toyota replacements, I need a bit of compliance on our shitty streets here.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,263 Posts
yeah they where banged out of mine, and I replaced them with solid peices form howard H. nice units i must say.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you replace all of them? do you notice a difference in the ride at all? Also, what was the cost? (PM me if you have to)

adam

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
i got Champion toyota's last set of Unobtanium motorsports (or something like that) solid bushing kit. it ws $650. i doubt you'll find it that cheap anywhere else.

also, i plan on replacing all my bushings this winter when i'm not driving the car. as for now, a few will be done in the back, and the front, (too worn to be safe and/or get a good alignment) then the rest over the winter.

-shaeff

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no these aren't the suspension bushings (a-arm, control arm, etc) that I'm talking about. these are the subframe bolt to body bushings. they are about 3" in diameter. for what its worth, ive been advised to remove them with an air chisel.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
I think the rear subframe bushings are attched by one bolt that clamps it onto the subframe, just remove the bolt and it should just pop out with a few whacks of the hammer. I just made some solid aluminum subframe spacers for my car, and a few extra sets too!, it will take out all the play and hopefully the wheel hopp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts