Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
If it's a single car, or you plan on going single soon, forget the street tires.

I went with the expensive BF Goodrich 295 KD TAs and my puny T78 blows them out at 22psi in third. Traction is a must.

I would recommend Nitto or BFG drag radials 18".

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
i would recomend either a bf goodridge drag radial ir you dont drive the car that much or a nitto drag radial if you want some extra life.....i used to run reg street tires all the time until i discovered the glory of a drag radial.....once you go drag radial you can never go back !!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we will drive this car close to 7k-8k miles a year. And id hate to get stranded sumwhere because its sprinkling and im running Dr's

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Get BFG KDs if you want the stickiest street tire that can handle some rain.
Personally I like the newer KDW2s which are almost as sticky as the KDs but can walk through a monsoon. For maximum straight line traction get a set of BFG drag radials, but watch out for your life in the rain or around fast corners.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
For your purposes, I would go with Kumho MXs. I have them in 295/35-18 and get little or no wheelspin from a punch in 2nd with over 500 RWHP (in warm, dry weather) and none at all in 3rd gear. And they are great in the rain, too. ;)

I run 460 RWHP daily and the traction is superior on the street. The BFG KDs are slightly better but WAY more expensive and are true street tires also.

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
BLITZSUPRA said:
For your purposes, I would go with Kumho MXs. I have them ....... And they are great in the rain, too. ;)
I like the MX's pretty well. Especially the price!
I have not tried them (yet), but the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 has gotten good reviews.

·
Banned
455 Posts
VickSupra said:
I like the MX's pretty well. Especially the price!
I have not tried them (yet), but the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 has gotten good reviews.
Good street tires are the S0-2 or S0-3...But you have to pay to play with those tires

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
it also comes down to , do you want a sticky street tire that you are willing to sacrafice tire life and wet condition driving (because i know i do) or do you want a high speed rated tire that wont hook as well but is better in the rain and may last a little longer....it all comes down to your driving style and what conditions you drive in.....i have the drag radials and i dont mind that they suck in the rain because generally i dont drive in the rain(not to say i havent driven in the rain with them) , tire life isnt an issue because i dont put alot of miles on....im concerned with maximum grip and thats it....go on tire rack and read the reveiws for the different choices you have and figure out what suits you best....

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
FWIW, i had terrible results w/ khumo mx's

·
Registered
785 Posts
I personally wouldnt put on DR if the sponsor paid me .....the sidewalls are horrible.

Get a decent tire not just DR...pm if you need help further

·
Registered
980 Posts
VENEMOUS TT said:
Slither thanks for verifying that MX suck on 400hp+ cars !!!

Damn , you guys with these domestic tires !!!kills me
Is that pic in your avatar of the smokey mountain park? If so, do they still have the giant that is asleep? lol

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
VENEMOUS TT said:
Slither thanks for verifying that MX suck on 400hp+ cars !!!

Damn , you guys with these domestic tires !!!kills me
"domestic" ? Kumho ?

And plenty of mid-to-high hp cars have done well on Kumho MX for a lot of folks.
Now the Ecsta Supra - that's different.

BTW - Slither is a 'stang guy, so can't trust him.......... :stickpoke ;) :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts