Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my car in because it was dripping (a little) tranny fluid and they told me that my rear tranny seal is leaking. :confused: Has anyone else had this problem? Any idea how much to fix it? thanks

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The rear seal for the tranny is available individually and is real cheap, like $10. Call Jay Marks Toyota for help. Not sure whether you will need to drop the tranny to install. This is a somewhat common problem with the Supra tranny.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Not sure if it's the rear main seal but I had mine fixed while the tranny was out for a clutch job and it another $200 to the bill.:(

·
3,148 Posts
Be careful, a lot of times this leak is from the seal where the shifter rod goes into the transmission and not from the rear trans seal. Both of these can be done with the trans in the car, but the shifter rod seal is a "bear".

Later, Steve

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve Jarvis said:
Be careful, a lot of times this leak is from the seal where the shifter rod goes into the transmission and not from the rear trans seal. Both of these can be done with the trans in the car, but the shifter rod seal is a "bear".

Later, Steve
I have the same problem. Thinking about grenating the trans so that I can get a new one. :p j/k

Thank god for warranty. :D

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
Had the same problem. My suggestion is to do both seals. Altered Atmosphere removed the tranny, replaced the seals, and reassembled her in like 3hrs. Not a drop since. Best $200 I spent

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have the same problem right now. For me, it seems to be leaking from an area towards the rear of the transmission drain bolt. When the seal is changed, do they need to drain the transmission oil or do they leave it alone? Can any independent shop fix this or does it need to be at Toyota? If it continues to leak, will I eventually run out of transmission oil? How long do I have until that happens? It only leaks very little, like a few drops a day. Thanks.

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
Mine appeared to be leaking from the drain bolt too. It was only a few drops. Keep in mind that once you are driving and the tranny is hot, the seals swell and the leak is "gone".

I would suggest you pick up some tranny fluid from Jeff Watson and have that replaced as well. I am guessing if not drained it would be messy.

Since the tranny holds roughly 2 liters, pick up two cans.

Cheers
Eric
95TT BPU++

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
THe seal is not your typical o-ring. It has a u-shaped cross-section with a miniscule spring around the inside diameter. I think any place should be able to do this, but I would recommend someplace familiar with the supra. The hardest part is removing the old seal. It is wedged in there quite well. This is true for both seals.

Some on the forum have performed this repair DIY and can confirm the PITA nature of the seal removal.

I would suggest www.carfiche.com for a complete look at the tranny and its replacment parts

Hope some of this helps,

Eric
95TT BPU++

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the replys. i ordered the front and rear seals from jay marks, but they look like regular o-rings, jeff said they were the right ones...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts