Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2007 FSAE World Champion
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car appears to have the OEM upper rear control arm Spherical bearings beginning to wear out. Has anyone located a replacement bushing similar to the OEM that we can put in the car? I do not want to downgrade to a non-spherical design like the R2 provides.

I would assume there has to be a spherical bushing available that will work but figured I would ask if someone has found one already, especially if they are from the OEM toyota supplier.

Thanks!

·
2007 FSAE World Champion
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
309 Posts
The OEM ones are not spherical. They are just rubber and a sleeve encased in a metal shell. That shell really doesn't provide any advantage and the R2 poly bushings are significantly stronger than the rubber in the OEM bushing.

·
2007 FSAE World Champion
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, then there is a lot of mis-information out there of the OEM arms in the rear upper location being sphericals. I have also read about the aftermarket bushings failing quickly in this location...

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
The OEM ones are not spherical. They are just rubber and a sleeve encased in a metal shell. That shell really doesn't provide any advantage and the R2 poly bushings are significantly stronger than the rubber in the OEM bushing.
Page 206, Para 3 of the 1993 1/2 New Car Features book states for the 2JZ-GTE they are rubber-integrated ball bushings. AKA spherical bearings encased in rubber.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Page 206, Para 3 of the 1993 1/2 New Car Features book states for the 2JZ-GTE they are rubber-integrated ball bushings. AKA spherical bearings encased in rubber.
That's not what I would consider a tradition spherical bearing. This is what most people think of when referring to spherical bearings.

http://bearingsdirect.com/com-m-metric-plain-spherical-bearing-chrome-steel/2418-pb14-plain-spherical-lubricated-ball-bushing-bearing-id14-x-od34-x-w19mm-iko-japan.html

·
Registered
362 Posts
If anyone is interested, I'll light a upper rear control arm bushing on fire when I get back from India next week and take pictures of what comes out. I've burned the front lower control arm bushings, one of them has a large, round bump in it which is why people call them spherical.

·
2007 FSAE World Champion
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anybody know for sure if the rear uppers are rubber incased spherical bushings from the factory? Or are they a more typical rubber bushing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts