Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I finally got around to buying new rear upper control arms. As many of you know, that awful squeaking is made when the bushing on it wears out. And unfortunately, you have to reaplace the whole arm. :rolleyes:
I took it to my mechanic today, and I just called him up. He says he's having trouble getting the front bolts off the control arm. If anyone has had this done already, can you lend some insight? He said he called the local dealerships, but no one has done it before.. so right now I may be SOL.:(

My Supra is a 93.5 NA auto. Thanks,

Daniel

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got it...

Okay we were able to get it off. My mechanic only had to break 2 wrenches and give himself a slight concussion to do it. :D But at last.. NO MORE SQUEAKIE!! WOOHOO!

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
are there any compaNYS WHO MAKE AFTERMARKET CONTROL ARMS FOR THE SUPRA? i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU aND NEED TO GET IT FIXED SOON .tHANKS bRETT(xDREEAMER)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Upper Control Arms
retail for $280.71 each, I got them for $215 from Jeff Watson at Jay Marks Toyota.

The shop charged about 400 because I needed to do an alignment afterwards. (It was about 1.5 hours labor each side)

Oh man, it was so nice today. I turned off the radio and just listened to the beautiful sounds.. of my car without a squeak!

To my knowledge there is no aftermarket version of these. But a few caveats/details.

1) Make sure you get the REAR UPPER control arms.. I accidentally got FRONT ones from TAP recycling and had to return them..

2) Don't get them used. After looking at what I got from TAP I noticed the bushings on it wouldn't last very long. Its worth it to get the new ones.

3) Comparing the old to the new arms, we noted that the design was slightly different. This is a good thing because it means that Toyota fixed the design flaw in the bushings. It may be that later model years of Supras won't ever have a problem with their bushings. :D

Daniel

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
So you cant just replace the bushing? And the shop charged you 400 for 3 hours of work somethingss not right. Anways I have the same prob and will proablly jsut fix it myself. Anyone with more info help me also what about the lower control arms? Mine bushings are startin to go inthem to. Can i just get the bushing or aftermarket bushings? Or control arms????

·
Registered
158 Posts
MVP motorsports carries a pair of aftermarket rear upper control arms, but they cost $800. Not really worth it unless you do A LOT of racing. Also there is now way to just replace the bushing. You have to replace the whole arm, but I am all for it if it gets rid of that god aweful noise.

Brad

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
what is the deal on the mvp control arms? Why are they so much are they lower and upper? Are they alot lighter then stock? Alkso where can i just get the bushings you are talking about to replace the shot ones that squeek?Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Point of clarification

Xdreamer it was 1.5 hours each side + Alignment so 400 isn't out of the question. I really like the work my mechanic does, and I trust him, so I didn't see any shenanegans going on. Anyway, if you can get it done cheaper, more power to you. :D
If you were to look at the bushings, you would see that they are an integral part of a large metal wishbone shaped control arm. It's a solid piece and there is no way to just replace the bushing. Believe me, I would have done that if I thought I could.

Daniel

·
MKIV TT Sell-OUT
176 Posts
sorry to burst your bubble, but it cost me 200$ for labor.. that was for replacing both upper control arms, alignment, and replacing a bolt on the differential....

my mechanic did a very good job too, somewhere around 15 years experience on japanese cars..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Point of clarification

Xdreamer it was 1.5 hours each side + Alignment so 400 isn't out of the question. I really like the work my mechanic does, and I trust him, so I didn't see any shenanegans going on. Anyway, if you can get it done cheaper, more power to you. :D
If you were to look at the bushings, you would see that they are an integral part of a large metal wishbone shaped control arm. It's a solid piece and there is no way to just replace the bushing. Believe me, I would have done that if I thought I could.

Daniel

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whoops sorry about the repost. Well Stang2Supra, like I said if you can get it done for less, good for you. It was still less than I would have paid at the dealership. In any case, I had no prob with the work done. And drive all the way down to SoCal would have been a little more expensive/time consuming.:D

·
MKIV TT Sell-OUT
176 Posts
Mr. Sparkle said:
whoops sorry about the repost. Well Stang2Supra, like I said if you can get it done for less, good for you. It was still less than I would have paid at the dealership. In any case, I had no prob with the work done. And drive all the way down to SoCal would have been a little more expensive/time consuming.:D
good point. those bastards at toyota tried to charge me over a 1000$!!!!!!

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
Attn Stang2supra

Hey, pass me the info. for your mechanic...I need to get my control arms done too. I've been quoted around $350-400 for labor and your guy sounds like the best deal going in OC!

Thanks...

Huy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Huy, Waassaaaaah

Hey Huy,

Woohoo! No more squeakies! Maybe it WOULD have been worth it to go down to SoCal and hang with you and Andy AND get the labor done. (hey if you can get away with it and not have to do a wheel alignment too, great!)

I'll be down in LA/OC area for E3 in May. Let's hook up, 'kay?

Daniel

·
MKIV TT Sell-OUT
176 Posts
actually, i got charged around 275$ now that i look at the receipt. but that was for the 2 rear upper control arms, rear differential mounts, and a tune-up (checked up on everything, oil change, etc.). so for just the control arms, it should be closer to 200...

i was in a hurry to get it replaced. a new worker ordered the parts for me/said he'd call when it came in. he ended up ordering the wrong parts (fronts), and didnt bother to call at all. before i even complained of anything, they fired him for mistreating their customer and i never saw him there again. needless to say, they have some of the best service i have ever seen. im pretty sure it's a family owned business. oh and ask for ashlin, she was very helpful although her father (i think) was as well.

and the mechanic that i talked to first when we were trying to figure out exactly what was wrong had over 10 years of experience at toyota alone..but i forgot his name.

Herb's Garage-Arman Auto Service
242 Victoria St.
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
tel. 949.631.1950
fax. 949.631.4821

there you go Huy, hope that helps.

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
Daniel...

Man, I didn't know that was you behind that 'Mr. Sparkle' name! Good to hear from you again...

Gosh, I remember you and I complaining and bitching about our squeeky control arms like 2 years ago....neither one of us has fixed it in that time period!! LOL...

Make sure you give me a call when you come down again... Andy's up in Santa Barbara now...but he's always in LA during the weekends though. Crazy guy...

Good luck with fixing your squeek...

Huy

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
Thanks Stang..

Thanks for the mechanic info...I think I may have even gone there once or twice in the past! That place is in my neck of the woods too...I live near Harbor and Adams, near the Infiniti dealership.

Thanks again Stang2Supra...

Huy

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
Xdreamer said:
what is the deal on the mvp control arms? Why are they so much are they lower and upper? Are they alot lighter then stock? Alkso where can i just get the bushings you are talking about to replace the shot ones that squeek?Thanks
The MVP/PHR arms are ADJUSTABLE. The oem ones aren't.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts