Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have on order my new hub and bearing...my question is, should i have the bearing pressed on the hub first? or should i disassemble everything and then have it pressed on. this would be my first time fixing this problem... i'm just going off the mkiv tech guide...basically, here's my rundown...disassemble brakes/suspension/axle/control arms, then pull apart the hub from the carrier, remove inner/outer seals and snap ring, and install the reverse order...sounds simple enough:ugh2: any tips would be helpful....TIA

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
bingo

·
Banned
2,624 Posts
Sounds like you have it all down....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:bigthumb: should i go ahead and have the bearing pressed onto the hub first? i don't want to make multiple trips to the machine shop if i don't have to...do i have to press the hub back into the carrier or is just held in by the snap ring?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
so by the way ....i just did this last weekend except i purchased both rear carriers so i did not have to go threw the bs of pressing shit in and out.

now my car is lejit no more sway in wat or light dirt.
took me 4.5 hours both sides..

heed my words here......................................................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rent the pitman or have adiquit other means of seperating ur ball joints ect do not beat the fuck out of ur car, it is not necesary
it is very straight forward !

·
I8 YUR V8
416 Posts
:bigthumb: should i go ahead and have the bearing pressed onto the hub first? i don't want to make multiple trips to the machine shop if i don't have to...do i have to press the hub back into the carrier or is just held in by the snap ring?
You need to press the bearing into the carrier first. Install the snap ring and seal. Then press your hub in. Install the inner seal afterwards and make sure you torque the axle nut to spec to avoid future bearing problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thx konrad! i'll have both pressed back on....the bearing to the carrier, and then the hub back onto the bearing....

·
I8 YUR V8
416 Posts
thx konrad! i'll have both pressed back on....the bearing to the carrier, and then the hub back onto the bearing....
Sure no problem.
The exact order you would do this is...
1. press the bearing in the carrier
2. install snap ring and outer seal
3. press hub in to bearing
4. flip the carrier over and press in the inner bearing race onto the hub (you will understand what i mean once you get to this point. The inner race will not stay inside the bearing when the hub is being pressed in)
5. install inner seal

Here's a picture of one i did awhile ago. This would be after step 2 in my list. This is how it will look like when your ready to press the hub in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thx for all the tips guys! i finished the install today...everything went smoothly except the lower ball joint...couldn't get it off...so i just ended up taking off the whole lower control arm..other than that it was pretty easy and straight forward.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts