Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

First off, happy holidays! I bought a 88 turbo off of a guy this summer pretty cheap and have been working on it as time permits for a little while now. Fixed a bhg and got her running pretty good, so now I'm on to doing some more cosmetic and bodywork. The car is solid but has some things that need to be put back together, one of which is the rear passenger quarter window that is currently off the car. I have some butyl tape to reseal the window, but after looking through the car I only have the lower half of the trim that goes around it. Are there any alternatives to this trim that look ok? I read a post where someone replaced their windshield trim with some rubber, but I'm not sure if that would work here given the sharp turns. Ideally, I'd like to buy another trim piece, but most are around $100 on eBay and I just don't want to spend that much on some trim at the moment. Just trying to find something to get me by until I get ready to paint, then I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy the trim on eBay. The piece I have is the lower piece, so I thought about putting it on then using some rubber weatherstripping for the top piece that goes between the window and the hatch.

·
YotaMD.com author
737 Posts
I'm currently restoring my 91 and am very familiar with those trim pieces. Buy the eBay piece. I don't see any way you're going to get a universal piece to look anywhere near correct. The windshield can look OK (still not great) because it's such a simple shape/contour and you can do the entire thing at once. Since you can do it all with the universal molding it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. For that rear quarter I think the universal stuff would clash real bad with the existing lower trim.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I was thinking. Is it possible to put the trim back in after sealing the window? I was going to go ahead and seal it back up for now so I can start driving it(can't believe I'm finally able to say that), but soon I'm gonna start sanding everything down to begin paintwork, which at that point I'd buy the trim.

·
YotaMD.com author
737 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking. Is it possible to put the trim back in after sealing the window? I was going to go ahead and seal it back up for now so I can start driving it(can't believe I'm finally able to say that), but soon I'm gonna start sanding everything down to begin paintwork, which at that point I'd buy the trim.
My thought: Do NOT install that window prior to paintwork. There's no good way to paint the B pillar with that window installed and the trim goes on the window before the window goes on the car. I removed those windows strictly because I was painting. I was painting because the previous paint job was done with the trim and window installed and the edges of paint were lifting/peeling exactly along that edge.

Keep the car apart until you paint. Paint goes on first, everything else lays on top of that paint - most importantly that rear quarter trim/window. :) Shortcuts in paintwork are a nightmare to fix later. Do it right first time and you'll only have to do it once.

I know it might screw with your timing and usability of the car, but if at all possible, keep that window out until you paint.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest, that kinda makes things easier. It's my third car, and a project at that, so I don't have to have that window in. I've just had the bolts for it in and cover it up when I'm done messing with it to prevent and water getting in there so it's fine the way it is. I'm painting it myself, so everything that helps prevent further headaches is a ok with me haha. I'll just leave things be while I start sanding and do some interior work(got another dash to swap in since mine is cracked really really bad). Glad you mentioned that because now I'll probably take the other window out when I get ready to paint that way I can get in there good and just reseal both at the same time and can redo my trim in the process. I may start a build thread on it but man has the progress, or really the money I'm able to spend on a project, been slow. Regardless, another bhg supra saved and it's my first venture into the supra realm and hell honestly the turbo realm, so everything has been a blast so far. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts