Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I desperately need some help!!!

I just noticed a noise coming from the rear of my car last night. The noise only occurs when the car is moving, and speeds up when the car speeds up, so I know it is part of the drivetrain. It almost sounds like a bad bearing or something, and it seems to be coming from where the driveshaft connects to the rear end. What could this be? I am hoping and praying that it isnt the rear diff but I think it is.

Can anyone tell me if they have had any experience with this noise or with a failing rear diff.?

Also, what does a rear diff. cost and can it be rebuilt?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
:eek: Oooh, that is scary. You may want to look at the thread that I started originally on "diff lube and service life" (or something like that about one page back in the tech articles. One of the other owners, Andi has his diff go out but under warranty. Andi gave a price on replacement and I remember seeing some other guy saying he found a replacemen for about 800 bucks out ofa junk yard. What it took in addition to that I don't know.Good luck. Maybe it is someting minor but it doesn't sound pretty.
Barry H 94ttsupra 6sp.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, but I think I have good news. I now believe that it might have been my brakes. I tried having a friend help me drive the car while in the air and it seems as though the noise is much quieter and is coming from the rear pass. brake assembly. It is weird cause I checked all of that yesterday and I swear the noise was coming from the rear diff.

Oh well I ain't gonna complain, I now have to just fix the brakes. I am starting to think that the problem was more associated with the e-brake cause I haven't had the e-brake on for 2 days and the noise is much quieter now, and after driving it around the noise is pretty much gone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I believe it is the brakes cause I know the pads are down real low and the rotors were cut one too many times by the previous owner. Plus if it were the bearings it most likely would not go away. And I have tried jacking the car up and shaking the wheel from side to side and up and down and there is no free play at all, but thanks for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts