Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota dealership rebuilt this engine twice and didn't last. Upon taking it apart, my mechanic friend and I realized that the oil squirters were not put in the turbo engine. I don't know if it makes that much of a difference but I made sure they are on this rebuild we are doing. Car has been down for 2 and 1/2 years but we are making sure everything goes back together right.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
ok the toyota dealership most likely torqued the head to 58 ft/lbs of torque which isnt enough for this engine.. youll want arp studs at 78 ft/lbs about..... was the failure of the engine headgasket or bearing related? or did something more major break?

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I believe you hit the nail on the head so to speak. Headgasket had stretched to an oval egg shaped on the #1, #2 and #5 cylinder towards the intake valve ports which leads me to believe they didn't torque it down well enough or reused my head bolts. Plus the dealership only did the top half of the engine and left the block alone and it cost me $3600 only to have the engine last 4,000 miles.
The dealership honored the service warranty on the engine so to speak and gave me a set of used cams and a used head. But I wound up paying more to have them machine the block and had them install ARP headstuds and a HKS metal headgasket but because I had them install aftermarket stuff they wouldn't stand behind any of the work. This engine ran OK for 50,000 miles before I started having issues again with it. It was running when I took it down to rebuild the motor. I had turbo whine so I removed the turbo and was going to have it rebuilt and while it was off I figure I would check the compression. That is when I discovered the #3 and #4 cylinder compression were low. #3 had about 90 # psig and #4 had about 70# psig. So at that point I decided to yank it and go through rebuilding it. As I tore it down my mechanic friend noticed it didn't have the oil squirters, seems the dealer didn't install them when they rebuilt it the second time.
Machine shop took 8 months to get everything machined and back in my possession and the rest of the time in 2 and 1/2 years has been my mechanic friend taking all the time in the world to recouping from health issues/ 3 surgeries within 6 months and his medication and trying to regain his stamina, I have had to be patient while he got back on his feet. Luckily I have other cars to rely on so getting this done hasn't been that much of an inconvenience. All I know is I didn't want the dealership rebuilding any more of my engines!!!

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Sorry for the bad luck with the stealership rebuild. Hope this one goes better. Any pics of the progress?

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
Ouch... Good luck getting it back on the road!

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
hey mike sounds like youve still been havin some back luck with the ol mk3 eh that sucks man just muscle threw it and get her on the road again!

on a side note hows the family?

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Get her back on the road man. I waited about that long for my rebuild to be complete. The wait sucked but its soo worth it now.

Just a side note - my ARPs are torqued at 100 lb-ft. No BHG here, I run 20 psi all day long.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
ouch ... toyota really sucks at repairing BHG's ...

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Progress is slow but hopefully be running by the end of summer here. One step at a time until it is complete and running without any issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts