Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I might be looking at having to turn my supra into a project car instead of a daily driver typa vehicle. Whilst its down for the count once more I think I might rebuild the engine, err a jdm block of some kind actually.
I can take the engine completely apart no problem, I have an idea about prices for parts. (rings, bearings, seals, gaskets)
However, I don't know anything about rehoning/balancing or anything like that.
I am curious to know howmuch yall spent on your rebuilds if you did it yourself.
My main areas of concern is machining costs and assembly costs.
I might have the shop put it back together, or I might get chummy with a local smart ass mechanic. (smart ass as in really smart, not sarcastic)
I hear all the time about people spending 5 grand on a rebuild....yeah that won't work for me....

·
i <3 fitness chicks
1,585 Posts
My rebuild consists of:

*ARP Head Studs
*ARP Rod Bolts
*Cosmetic Metal Head Gasket
*Main Bearing Set
*Rod Bearing Set
*Thrust Washer Set
*Deck Block
*Bore and Hone Block
*Polish Crankshaft
*Install ARP Rod Bolts and Recondition Rods
*5 Angle Valve Job
*Surface Head
*Set Valve Clearance
*Machine Flywheel

This all came out to $2100. I spent $520 on Ross Forged Pistons and then $345 on a Toyota Gasket Kit. So, pretty close to 3k for my rebuild...

·
Can't touch this!
1,404 Posts
Well my story is a little different as I am not anly rebuilding the motor but doing all my mods for a complete build up too!

Right now I have done basically everything in the above mentioned post minus a few things but have spent close to I would say $3000-4000 as it stands and I have not purchased my pistons, bearings, water pump, oil pump, turbo, and a bunch of other crap!

Basic rebuilds if you do it yourself will cost about $3000-4000 for a half decent build. DO NOT cheap out! If your gonna do it, do it right! Don't miss little crap cus you don't have the money right now, cus you'll end up regretting it! If you don't have the money for that certain something then save up and let the motor sit!

Good-luck on the build man!

Later

Jason

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I have spent close to 5k on my rebuild. It shouldn't be that expensive, but it winds up costing that much...

·
Back to Action!
210 Posts
JSupra88T said:
What did you have done to yours where you had to spend 5k?
Personally, I made a bad decision in who to purchase the engine from in the first place. But my total also included jdm 7mgte, plus rebuild, plus turbo conversion parts.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I estimated that I would spend about 2k on the rebuild, but new ideas come along, and you want things to be perfect. The 1jz isn't cheap, and it will be expensive no matter what. It depends on your personality. If you are a perfectionist, or are paranoid, you will spend a LOT of money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I don't get about this, is that a friend of mine had his v-8 350 something or other put together for 900 bucks. I figure i'd buy a head for 425 from head only.com and shizen, then get a jdm shortblock for 100 bucks, then machining....I'd just hone the block too, if I could get away with it, would that cut down on cost? plus putting it together would be free for me.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That's a totally different world. You can buy an oil pump for a Chevy for $30 vs. ~$180 for the 7M. It's all those little things that nickle and dime you to death.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a chevy oem or better oil pump? or just like an autozone one?
I u nderstand domestic parts are waaay cheaper than import parts. but with curt aigner on my side, and a jdm shortblock(hopefully) I could avoid buying a shit load of parts(crosses fingers)

·
Can't touch this!
1,404 Posts
Sorry man but your gonna end up buying a shitload of parts. One thing leads to another and then your goin from a basic headgasket job on a stock supra to a full build up with enough goodies to hit the 500 rwhp mark :D

* Remember, do it right the first time!!!!!*

Later

Jason

·
Registered
103 Posts
well, for the rebuild I will be doing, I found an engine rebuild kit for $300 + $150 I found for an oil pump so that totals at $450, but it won't be a performance rebuild. Just a reg. one.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
supraMKIVchica79 said:
well, for the rebuild I will be doing, I found an engine rebuild kit for $300 + $150 I found for an oil pump so that totals at $450, but it won't be a performance rebuild. Just a reg. one.

No new bearings? Hoses?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had mine rebuilt including HKS-MHG & ARP's as well as all barings, rings, vavles, oil & water pumps, and anything even remotely worn. Cost Installed and running...$4500cnd

1 - 20 of 29 Posts