Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find too much information about this subject but I was wondering if rebuilding a 7MGE motor using aftermarket internals specified for the 7MGTE who be a problem. I guess I would essentially be using only the block, head and intake, and crank. I'm guessing the cranks are different though and I would need a turbo one. The reason I ask is because I have my old 7MGE and almost every Turbo part I would need to go NA-T, lying around and was thinking since you can boost the stock NA, why wouldn't you be able to rebuild it to turbo specs and run it to the extent of a Turbo motor instead of just throwing the turbo on it. Is there anything special I need to be aware of before going through this? Thanks for any info.

Tim

R

·
0 Posts
I think i read somewhere the cranks are the same for the NA and turbo, and you'd be better with the NA cams too.
I'd just stick a turbo on it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RICH7MGTE said:

I'd just stick a turbo on it.
I'd rather go ahead and build it and not have to go through the trouble of taking the motor out later on after putting the turbo on. Just seems more feasable to wait and build the other motor and just drop it in when it's ready.

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
the crank is the same for n/a and turbo, given the same year. i believe 89+ came with double counterbalanced 7m crank, bit heavier, but smoother. pre 89 came wih single counterbalanced 6M crank. lighter, bit higher revving, not as smooth. rods are the same i believe, only difference bottom end wise is the turob has lower compression pistons and oil squiters that squirt oil onto the underside of the pistos to keep them cool under boost. the haeds are the same casting though the n/a has different cams, electronics of course, and different intake manifold. n/a also uses a distributor instead of cps/coilpacks like the turbo. if i understand what you are doing correctly, the only difference between your said frakenstein motor and an authentic turbo (bottom end wise) would be the lack of oil squirters. and i dont have much knowledge when it comes to the effects of running without the squirters. HTH

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the reply. I'll do somemore research but I think I'm gonna do it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
also i belive i read somewhere another difference between the na block and turbo block is that the na only has one knock sensor and the turbo block has two knock sensor.someone correct me if i am wrong

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
jpeek29208 said:
also i belive i read somewhere another difference between the na block and turbo block is that the na only has one knock sensor and the turbo block has two knock sensor.someone correct me if i am wrong
Thats correct. I belive people have just tapped a spot for the second sensor. You will be without the squirters which are there for extra cooling for the pistons. You will also have to find somewhere to get oil pressure and a oil return on the block.

L

·
0 Posts
keep your overall price tag in perspective. compare prices of a rebuild vs. pricing of a JDM motor.

often you can find GE's for ~700 or less and GTE's for perhaps 100 more.

also, consult Jong's recent post. he has a website I believe dedicated to the 1/2 NA-T and lots of info that could be useful.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lightning said:
keep your overall price tag in perspective. compare prices of a rebuild vs. pricing of a JDM motor.

often you can find GE's for ~700 or less and GTE's for perhaps 100 more.

also, consult Jong's recent post. he has a website I believe dedicated to the 1/2 NA-T and lots of info that could be useful.
Have gone through 2 JDM motors already. That's out of the question. I know what I need to do to get the turbo on.....I'm asking about internals...

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
umm ok chief what more do you want to know? we've covered that the cranks are the same, that you can go w/ the NA cams, that the na block lacks oil squirters but you can install them, you need to tap an oil return line in. the head is the same, although slightly lower compression on the turbo than the NA version. the intake manifold is different, and you should go w/ a different exaust although i have heard of people running the NA w/ no praws. what more do you want to know?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turbo Zupra said:
I couldn't find too much information about this subject but I was wondering if rebuilding a 7MGE motor using aftermarket internals specified for the 7MGTE who be a problem.
Tim
This chief

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
Re: Re: Rebuilding 7MGE for CT-26??

Turbo Zupra said:
This chief
ok well that narrows it down a bit. internals such as pistons and rods would be ok id think, but it could change the stroke and compression so in that case y not just get a turbo engine (i know u have the na laying around but wait) i was in a similiar boat as you when i had my na but wanted more stuff and i know the market out there for aftermarket parts is kinda geared toward the turbo guys. it really all depends on what you want to do. a little more elaboration will help id think as to what interals you are looking at specificly. going off on that topic actually would it be ok to use the walbro 255 fuel pump that is supposed to be used on a turbo car on an NA car?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know it may be easier to get a turbo engine and just build it but why not use the NA block that I have lying around when it only has minor differences. So you think the specs on the rods and pistons (other than compression) would be the same. I'd really like a lightly modded car (maybe running 15 lbs. at most) could I use stock turbo pistons or should I fork out for forged units? This car won't be a drag car, just a nice street machine and daily driver. I'm sure you could use the turbo halbro fuel pump. Shouldn't be any differnent than using it on a turbo (atleast I dont think)

Tim

S

·
0 Posts
A year ago, I rebuilt an entire 7MGE Motor to GTE Spec. Honestly, Not worth the trouble. It's alot cheaper to go out there , buy a 7MGTE for $900, and slap her in with the correct ECU & harness. Too much work the be done on the 7MGE, Including shymming the Head to Lower compression. You can do it, I have, but Not worth it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts