Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I found this Supra for sale and was wondering what kinda hell I'm gonna go through to get it back up to speed. The title says export only but I'm not sure on the exact meaning on that. Well since I don't know sh*t about this stuff I'll just put the pics and let you smart folks explain, ;).

This here is what scares me...

But this looks good

and the engine seems ok

Well what do you think? The car only has 39,900 miles on it and the price is a little over $10,000. Would it be a good idea to fix it up or just try to find a mint one??

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Car looks pretty banged up. Export only means it can NEVER be titled in the US anymore. That means you can't get plates for it here (any state), you can't get insurance, etc. Not worth it, unless you don't live here.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well damn, that straight up sucks goat nads. There's nothing I could do to have it re-titled? I didn't wanna just slap new body panels on and go, I was planning on doing major work to get it back up.

Also why would it be export only? I've seen cars way way more banged up than this one but they were all still legal.

Well thanx for the info, back to searching it is, :(.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Looks like both the inner fenders have been compromised and I would bet that at least the left strut tower is out of place. Hard to tell from the pic but at least the left bumer rail is hurt. Try pulling the Targa off and see if you can get it back on - from the picture my guess is you won't. It would need to spend some time on the frame machine, that's for sure. It would only make financial sense if you could do all the work yourself, and even then it would be close. Even if you had to pay someone to do the frame machine work that could easily get up into the 4k+ range just for that. Even doing all the work yourself it gets expensive real quick - trust me.... If you know the right people you can get a title and insurance, but it is a hassle. That's a great canadate for an off-the-road race car though (aside from being auto).

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey I noticed you're from GA. Is the car also located out here?

Anyhow, judging from the pics you provided you'd be dealing with a whole front end rebuild from the firewall forward. It's definetly going to need to spend some time on a rack to have it strightened. I know of a place out here that charges $35 bucks an hour to set-up and measure, and about $55 an hour to pull and straighten.

Someone must have slammed into it while it was parked because the airbags haven't even been deployed.

It's workable but like someone else mentioned, if you don't know some "folks" you'll be spending $$$$$$$$$.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts