Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...

I am making a new engine harness from scratch (for megasquirt) and I need to utilize some of the stock connectors (ISCV, TPS, oil press., fuel injectors, and a few others).

The ideal thing to do is to completely dissemble the clips by removing the metal crimps and wires and using new crimps/wires directly into the connector. Now, I don't imagine the crimps in these 20 year old connectors are a universal off the shelf type, or are they? Has anyone replaced these crimps before? Or know where I can get ones that will fit properly for the connectors? I tried looking in the electrical EPC of the TSRM but couldn't get a part# for them.

All I need is the metal crimps that hold the wires in the plastic connectors.

Otherwise, I have cut the connectors off leaving a 2" pigtail so that if I HAVE to I can just use a straight crimp and crimp my new wires onto the pigtail of the old wire in the connectors. But I don't really want to go this route as a couple of the old wires are pretty brittle.

Any insight? I need this beast to be running again!

Thanks
- Adam

· 89 Turbo
392 Posts
Sorry I don’t have much info on the clips but do have a few questions..

Question- who built your mega squirt… *just curious*

Second- I would honestly NOT make an entire wiring harness…. It would waste way to much time. To measure all the lengths out. Cut both ends and get them all fitted.. ect.
I would just buy one…. They are like 50$ IIRC.. and it will save you a ton of time.

Third- let me know how it goes… I am contemplating on doing a megasquirt… So anything that happens or what not.. keep me posted! PLEASE

Thanks-
Good luck!

· 1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,696 Posts
snowball said:
Sorry I don’t have much info on the clips but do have a few questions..

Question- who built your mega squirt… *just curious*

Second- I would honestly NOT make an entire wiring harness…. It would waste way to much time. To measure all the lengths out. Cut both ends and get them all fitted.. ect.
I would just buy one…. They are like 50$ IIRC.. and it will save you a ton of time.

Third- let me know how it goes… I am contemplating on doing a megasquirt… So anything that happens or what not.. keep me posted! PLEASE

Thanks-
Good luck!

if i'm not mistaken i have seen a post where its a DIY kit and you have no choice but to build the entire harness ecu and relay board for testing your self......

· 89 Turbo
392 Posts
o i know you have to build the actual ECU. but i don’t believe the wiring harness...

my bro has a wiring harness for one right now in his room… but I am not sure if that is JUST for his 240 or what not.. *I haven’t looked into it much “its on my TODO list”*
I mean Yes he does have to add all the sensors ect. Just not measure the wire, out cut it…. Ect.

· Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I built the ecu myself.

And yes, unfortunately you have to make your own harness.

However, I did buy the $50 starter harness, but thats only half the fun. Just 15' of wire, assembled to the DB37 connector. Each wire is colour coded and labeled. There is no such thing as a bolt on harness for the 7M. But its not that hard to make the harness, takes a little thinking thats all.

If you can assemble the ECU you can easily assemble the harness.

Now back to the original topic...Anybody know of crimps that will fit in the Toyota connectors? Are they all the same? I haven't taken any out yet to look at them, just in case if I have to re-use the old wires in them currently.

· Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see the pins/crimps on that website...

If I can get a part # I know a dealer that can get them, anybody know what style/size they are?

· Registered
207 Posts
I've had luck with disassembling the connectors. Most have little tabs or barbs that can be "unlocked" with the aid of small jewely screwdrivers, disection probes or needles. Make some tools and practice on an old connector. If they put them together, it can be taken apart. Cutting them off short and splicing is another option. I like to soder the connection and use heat shrink tubing instead of tape as the tape will become sticky/unravel in an engine enviroment. :)

· Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
toymk3 said:
I've had luck with disassembling the connectors. Most have little tabs or barbs that can be "unlocked" with the aid of small jewely screwdrivers, disection probes or needles. Make some tools and practice on an old connector. If they put them together, it can be taken apart. Cutting them off short and splicing is another option. I like to soder the connection and use heat shrink tubing instead of tape as the tape will become sticky/unravel in an engine enviroment. :)
Thanks.

But I know how to take them apart. What I need to know is where I can get new pins/crimps to go in the connectors so I can completely replace the wires that go to the connectors.

· Impeller Head
2,976 Posts
You could send Motec a sample of each contact that you need and they will most likely have them. I have even sent them pictures and measurements and they were able to match what I needed. The hardest to find are the ones going to the ECU, which you probably don't need to mess with anyway. But the ones for the injectors, and sensors, coil pack, etc. are very common AMP brand terminals. I have made a whole new harness for my standalone and I think it is worth the hassle.
Good luck.

· Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jt2ma71 said:
You could send Motec a sample of each contact that you need and they will most likely have them. I have even sent them pictures and measurements and they were able to match what I needed. The hardest to find are the ones going to the ECU, which you probably don't need to mess with anyway. But the ones for the injectors, and sensors, coil pack, etc. are very common AMP brand terminals. I have made a whole new harness for my standalone and I think it is worth the hassle.
Good luck.
Thanks!
A friend of mine works at a design firm that designs/assembles gauges clusters for aerospace. I will give him the connectors and try to match the pins.

If not I will do what you suggested. :bigthumb:

· Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
87_7MGTE said:
just find an old mkiii harness and clip the connectors off it that you need, thats what I did. Or i guess you could PM me with what connectors you need and I could sell them to you (if I have them).
I already have all the connectors, what I need are these:

But the correct ones that fit in each toyota sensor (new ones).

Thanks for the replies guys.

· Registered
713 Posts
That's look like domestic connector. You can try toyota dealership. Try tycoeletronics.com or amp.com . I know some most people on Honda use them for conversion harness. They fit and look like Japanese connectors.

· Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
zurud said:
That's look like domestic connector. You can try toyota dealership.
But the correct ones that fit in each toyota sensor (new ones).
;)

But yes those are GM terminals.

Another option is soldering longer pins on the sensor side (iscv, tps, ect.) and then running 2" of wire from each pin and then crimping a male/female universal connector with matching pin numbers, say a GM weatherpack connector. This would eliminate the toyota connectors all together.

· Registered
3,965 Posts
jt2ma71 said:
Good luck.
How much did the wiring harness end up running you? Since the connectors aren't exclusive to Toyota you might be able to have Painless make our harnesses for much cheaper than dealer prices...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.